Windows XP error BSOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by N5638J, Nov 7, 2008.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Maybe someone can tell me what this means. I was given a computer to fix and when i powered up i got this error and i thought oh well and would just do a reinstall because i was bored and well i started with 98SE and started the windows XP install after 98SE got done and well it done it again when it restarted. Am i missing something?

[​IMG]

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

So you are using a Windows XP upgrade CD after installing Windows 98SE? It works much better if you start with the Windows XP install and then just use the Windows 98SE disk when it asks you "enter a disk to verify upgrade". It just wants to know that you own a previous product. After installing windows this way, it may work better software wise.

Other than that, you may have hardware problems. With BSODs, the main candidates are hard drives, RAM and video. I would start with the RAM. Google ramtest and burn it to a disk and then run it. Also try installing windows on a different hard drive in the system. Lastly, you can try a cheap video card and see if that stops the BSODs.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

sorry; it didn't post the first time then I got two.

5. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Its alright and i got it sorted i tried afew different things and it seems to be working now. Thanks for the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds