Windows XP Explore isnt working

Discussion in 'Software' started by XFalloutX, Jul 12, 2005.

1. XFalloutX

XFalloutX Private E-2

I'm working on someones computer and they had a ton of virus and trojans and so forth on the computer, reall messed the thing up good. I've gotten to the point were I get windows task manager up. From there I can run programs and so forth. I have to use Real Players media browser in order to get on the internet. Since explorer doesnt work I cant get to the start menu, all I have is the desktop wallpaper there isn't even a single icon. I've tryed everything to get explore to work (that I can think of). I've gone into the system.ini and placed shell=explore.exe but that didnt do anything. I've even tryed making it run on boot up and it still doesnt work. What else cand I do?

2. XFalloutX

XFalloutX Private E-2

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Its not a name brand and I don't know the specs.

Also when I try to run it from task manager it pops up and says it can't be found.

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

try sfc /scannow from task manager.
    Use cmd to see if you have explorer in windows folder.

4. XFalloutX

XFalloutX Private E-2

Explorer is there I can see it. I'm try sfc /scannow. Thanks thats one thing I couldn't think of :) I hope it works.

5. XFalloutX

XFalloutX Private E-2

Ok, but its not Brand name computer. The icons don't show up on the desktop because Explorer isnt working. But I'm sorry I don't know the specs. Its hard to find when your limited to certain things. I could find them out if its that important. Its XP Pro with a P4 thats about all I know.

Was the scan supose to tell me if it found something wrong? Cause I didn't see anything or missed it.

6. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

It may not if it is a registry problem,try another user.also check safe mode.
    And does explorer not start when you try explorer.exe from taskmanager or cmd?

7. XFalloutX

XFalloutX Private E-2

Explorer wont work in safe mode either. I tryed a differnt user and its the same. When I try explorer from task it tells me that it can't find it. Which I don't understand cause I clicked on it.

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Does it do the same thing in 'Safe Mode'?

9. XFalloutX

XFalloutX Private E-2

Thanks that fixed the problem. Now I just have to stop these popups.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds