Windows XP File Corruption on Local Machine only- Server Copies are fine

Discussion in 'Software' started by Toddzio, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Toddzio

Toddzio Private E-2

Hello,
    We are having a problem with one of our VP's machines. I have looked everywhere, and tried all I can think of. Here is the background, we are running a windows XP/Server 2003 network with a SAN. Every week or so, This VP will have all the documents from a random folder from his my docs show up as corrupted.
    If he tries to open a word doc, he will get a prompt asking him to select the encoding that makes your document readable. None of the given options work. If he tries to open a pdf he gets an error message saying the file extension is not supported or the file is damaged.
    Here is the weird thing: The files themselves are not corrupted. They open up on the server with no issues, They will open up on my local machine with no problems. If I move the folder from its current location, to another server or client machine, and then back, he no longer has the problem. Nothing is done with the files themselves. I have checked the permissions on the files and folders, those are all fine. We have checked the networking ports and equipment between the server and his machine also fine.

Thank you in advance for any assistance,
    -Todd

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Have you run a HDD test?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds