windows xp folder permission issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by manuleka, Jan 22, 2011.

1. manuleka

manuleka Private E-2

previously i had dual OS (Ubuntu and XP Pro)... they were both using a NTFS partition for data storage, there's a one folder in it that i can only read (but can't write/delete) from Windows XP

i've reinstalled Windows XP Pro deleting the Linux ext partitions for space

can anyone help please i've search online for guides but gotten nowhere

2. manuleka

manuleka Private E-2

sorry, i didn't state that i want to be able to write and delete folders and files in that folder...

thanks for any help...

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What folder are you talking about?

4. manuleka

manuleka Private E-2

just a standard folder on a partition... which has no write/delete permission from windows xp pro...

this folder was created with Ubuntu for Ubuntu torrent downloads... so i don't know why it's not allowing me to alter or delete anything in it... the thing is i've got heaps of files in it... a couple of hundred gigs.. i can't delete the folder itself

although an idea would be to copy all the stuff to another drive reformat the drive and put them back in... but i just don't have space to move/copy them to

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Go to Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab and all the way down uncheck the box for "Use simple File Sharing"

Then you should get the Security Tab when you view a folder's properties.

Then follow the instructions in this link to take ownership of the folder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds