Windows XP Home Edition - Slow to start (287sec).

Discussion in 'Software' started by HorseNCarriage, Oct 21, 2007.

1. HorseNCarriage

HorseNCarriage Private E-2

Hi,

Before you roll your eyes at another idiot who's asking the same question that has been asked a million, zillion times, I just like to say that I did do my homework and read all relevant threads from here and wide.

I have attached a copy of my HJT log. I defragged my HD yesterday. It took a good 8 hours for 80Gb HD, with 49% used. Is this kinda long? I then ran Bootvis. It showed that I'm not loading anything unnecessary. However, for the first 100 seconds, nothing is being loaded. There's a fair bit of disk write action going on.

I'm using a Sony Vaio laptop, model VGN-FS840/W. It's runnign MS XP Home Edition, Version 2002, with SP2. It has a Pentium 1.73GHz processor with 2Gb of RAM. I have no LAN network connections and only a wireless USB mouse is connected to it.

I did have Norton 2007 at one time. Before you say "That's it". I have since followed instruction to clean it out (including registry keys). Yes, I have ready about how the standard removal process doesn't clean it properly and I have followed creditable instructions to do the complete clean.

I have shut down all unnecessary services using MSCONFIG. That includes things like the indexing service, auto update & task scheduler (I switched it back on for Bootvis). I selected /NOGUIBBOT and set timeout to 3 seconds. (A quick side question, my BOOT.INI says "...partition(2)", but I don't remember doing that)

I have checked my system for virus and malware, but I found none. I'm really at the end the rope here. Please help me understand what's causing this and what I can do to resolve it. :banghead

Thanks much,

H.N.C

Attached Files:

2. GRWDAD

GRWDAD Private First Class

Re: Windows XP Home Edition - Slow to start (287 seconds)

So did you also go to "msconfig" and select which startup programs you wanted?

3. HorseNCarriage

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I did go into MSCONFIG and DEselected all but the essential programs for startup. Essential being my firewall/virus program and my ISP connection manager.

4. GRWDAD

GRWDAD Private First Class

Ctrl, Alt, Del..click processes, then mem usage to get them in order from most to least. See if you have a mem hog running.

5. HorseNCarriage

Yep, done that too. It's probably one thing that I do most, attampting to catch what's eating away at my laptop. I Googled every process that's taking any noticeable amount of CPU and memery. They are all just your standard one. System Idle process is quite high, which is good, meaning noone is sneaking any away from me.

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

What "security software" do you have installed now?

Steve

8. HorseNCarriage

Thanks rjc862003.

Yep, done that already. I have also duplicated that action using TuneXP. Although I read some success with that tip for others, unfortuntely, I didn't find it to have much effect for me.

Thanks for your response though.

9. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

Open the start menu and the run box and type regedit
    and goto this key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
    Right click on the one that says Enableprefetch select modify and set it 0 close regedit and reboot and enjoy :p
    setthe

BE WHERE MAKING THE WRONG CHANGE TO THE REGISTRY CAN F*CK up YOUR PC BE CAREFUL

10. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

system specs please ?

11. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

btw I think TuneXp Only turns down the Prefetch not off open regedit and make sure Its set 0
    PrefetchParameters 0 = off
    PrefetchParameters 1 = boot only
    PrefetchParameters 2 Apps only
    PrefetchParameters 3 boot and apps

12. HorseNCarriage

Just to add some explanation as what I tried. My understanding about the "EnablePrefetcher" parameter is this. There are a total of 4 options :

0. Selecting this option sets that Prefetching is disabled. This makes XP function similar to earlier versions of Windows when booting/launching Applications, i.e. it’s slower. There’s no particularly good reason to select this.

1. Selecting this option enables prefetching of Applications only. During system boot only pages relating to Applications will be fetched. This isn’t particularly recommended as it increases boot time for no real reason.

2. Selecting this option enables boot prefetching. During system boot only pages relating to booting up are fetched, reducing boot times, although launches of regularly used Applications after startup make take longer unnecessarily. This is of some use when the system is acting as a Server as Applications won’t be a concern.

3. Selecting this option enables boot and Application prefetching. During system boot pages relating to both boot and Applications are fetched, which provides improved boot times and faster Application initialisations. This is highly recommended.

So at the moment, I have set the value as "2". So, I have not tried "1" as you suggested, which is contrary to what I'm trying to achieve.

13. HorseNCarriage

My system spec is:

"... I'm using a Sony Vaio laptop, model VGN-FS840/W. It's runnign MS XP Home Edition, Version 2002, with SP2. It has a Pentium 1.73GHz processor with 2Gb of RAM. I have no LAN network connections and only a wireless USB mouse is connected to it.".

Is this what you need to know or more technical?

14. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

Open your boot.ini and make sure it looks something like this
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=Opin /fastdetect the /fastdetect switch is the
    importin one :p

15. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

I had the same issue on my pc setting it 0 will Drasticly decrease boot times

16. HorseNCarriage

One of the question that I asked in my initial post is this, in my BOOT.INI, the line says this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)

Why is that? I don't remember any action that would cause that. And how do I change it back to one? since I can't seem to be able to edit that entry.

17. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

try clearing the page file by moving it to a different HDD partition or disabling it U have 2 gig's of ram It should boot without a page file But beware windows don't always play nice with no page file setup. try setting it to system manged size

18. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

No Do Not Change The Boot.ini Partion Lines Your Pc Will Not Boot If U Mess It Up!!

19. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

If your pc Boots to the loading Screen that that setting is fine Is has nothing to do with how fast the system boot that tells the bios where windows is located and if u change it YOUR PC WILL NOT BOOT

20. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

make sure the power savings is turned off it can cause slowdowns on boot after Standby and hibernation mode

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm going to advise that no reghacking be done to fix such a slow boot time. It is not related.

To the poster suggesting such:

This is not valid troubleshooting advise. Tweaking is for those with already properly working OSes, not ones that are in need of repair.

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This will not affect boot performance.

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

24. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I think that the great deal of problem is this otpus internet security.Never heard of this IS software.try to unistall it,and install Avast antivirus,and Comodo firewall.You should try this.

25. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Hi

How long has this been an issue ?

How long have you had Optus Internet Security Suite (F-secure) installed for ?

Could you please confirm if you have a Brother printer (or other brother product)

edit: cant believe it took me 1/2 hour to make this post :eek: :D

optus is an australian telco/ISP from what I can gather they have gone into partnership with f-secure and are 'giving' out a free subscription of F-secure security internet suite 2006 to their customers

26. HorseNCarriage

Thanks for spotting that Adrynalyne.

W4sgeen.exe is from NetSource101.com. I have now removed it. I ran HJT again and it's gone. I also made sure that there were no other files in the Downloaded_Program_Files folder. I deregister OCCACHE.DLL first to ensure I'm seeing all the file in that folder. FIXED IT using HJT and re-registered the DLL again.

To Tunered. I've just ran HD_Tune. Please see attached screenshots. The HD appear to be in a healthy state.

To Shanemail. I've had this issue for a few months now. As I mentioned, I had Norton 2007 at one time, but I removed in favour of something with smaller footprint, and thus ended up with F-Series. Yes, you are correct, it is currently offered by Optus (2nd largest telephone/ISP provider in Australia. Telstra is largest due to its past history of being a Gov owned monopoly). I do have a printer. However, I don't use it much and only connect to it when necessary.

After I removed Norton, I did for a shortwhile there surf the net "naked". However, the slow starup already happened and it didn't make any difference.

I'm rather baffled as to what's causing it.

Thank you all for giving it a moment of your time.

Attached Files:

27. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I am no expert on HJT logs, but I have seen alot of them. I have never seen so many entries for a "security suite", Norton, Mcafee, ZoneAlarm, etc.

Some of your startup issues have to be with Optus Internet Security Suite. You could try disabling it and see if it makes a difference, but I would totally uninstall it to make sure.

Maybe someone else with more experience could check your HJT log, but that is a bit excessive I think. ;)

Steve

28. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

HorseNCarriage did mention that the issue started before the installation of the optus suite, but I would tend to agree - it looks like the most bloated suite around

Plenty of other good freeware suggestions to be found at How to Protect yourself from malware!

Because of what Adrynalyne found in your Hijackthis log it may still be a good idea to head on over to the Malware Removal forum and run through the READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide just to be on the safe side

The guides to be found in Computer maintenance may also be of some use to you.

29. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

30. HorseNCarriage

Since my last post, I have tried these.

I removed the F-Series firewall and am now using COMODO. I'm using CounterSpy to active block all spywares.

I cleaned up my registery using CCleaner. I cleaned it several times to ensure nothing useless is left in it.

I ran HJT to carefully look through each line to ensure nothing suspicious is in there. None are there.

I ran MSCONFIG and Startup Manager to ensure only two things are in my startup. The firewall and CounterSpy.

I trimmed the Services to minimum.

I used TuneXP and defragged my HD again last night and set it to rearrange boot file for faster boot. No difference.

I booted in Safe Mode and the time difference isn't that great. I didn't time it with a watch, just counted in my head. It was still around 2:30 til the disk stop spinning.

I booted once with all startup disabled and checked the flag with "Hide all MS Services". No difference.

I booted with BOOTLOG and I noticed nothing special.

None of the above made much difference.

Please help. I am really baffled.

31. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

try this open device manger look for the Ide controllers click propitiates and make sure the HDD/Cdrom are not useing Pio

transfer mode it should be Udma if its not try changing setting to dma if available and reboot
    (Screen Shot of how to change it to Udma http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/640/idehelpzg1.png )
    if its still useing useing PIO mode after the reboot trying removing and reinstalling BOTH Controllers
    PIO is a Very slow transfer mode and can cause UBer slow start ups it happened to me once

here a explanation of what ultra dma is
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  32. HorseNCarriage

Thanks for that rjc862003. I will follow it up and see what setting I have currently.

For now, I'm booting with /NOGUIBOOT. So, when I turn on the computer:
    1) The VAIO logo comes on.
    2) Screen goes blank (/NOGUIBOOT) for about 2 minutes.
    3) Windows logo comes on (30 seconds)
    4) Desktop comes on, HD still spinning (1:30)
    5) Finally ready for use.

I understand what it is loading when the desktop shows up. But it took so long to load all the .SYS files? The bootlog showed fairly standard stuff.

33. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

the reason that its takeing so long to load the sysfiles is that the Hdd may be running IN PIO transfer mode
    and the Rate data moving between the HDD and the motherboard is slower that is should be

See this for Info the through put speeds

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA-c.html

Pio's maximum transfer speed is 16.1 mega bytes a second

Udma mode 5 is 100 Megabytes a second

see this for the specs on the the Different PIO modes

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesPIO-c.html

This also might be of some use
    http://winhlp.com/node/10

34. HorseNCarriage

I have a few more questions

1) In my BOOT.INI, the line says this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)

Why is that? I don't remember any action that would cause my laptop to have 2 partitions. And how do I change it back to one? since I can't seem to be able to edit that entry.

2) Is the 1394 Net connection a drain on my resources and net connection?

Also, I used the online scan by MicroTrend (House Call) to confirm that I have no malware etc. Only found a few harmless cookies.

35. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

Don"t Edit The Boot.ini Has Nothing To Do With The Boot Speed If You Change It Will Make Your Pc Unbootable!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don"t Touch It There Is A Good Reason Why U Can"t Edit It!!!!!!!!!!

and no the 1394 Net Connection Should not affect the BOOT SPEED

36. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Has this performance issue always been there since you got your laptop? If not, perhaps you could consider a restore back to your original condition after backing up your personal files first.

37. HorseNCarriage

Thanks rjc862003 !!

I followed up your recommendation and checked out IDE controller transfer mode. The PRIMARY IDE had 2 devices. Device 0 has PIO mode and device 1 has ULTRA DMA Mode 2. So I uninstalled it and had Windows reconfigure it on the next bootup. Now, device 0 is using ULTRA DMA5, and the bootup speed is noticeably improved. I counted 100 seconds. It's no 30 seconds boot up, but it's better than what I have to put up with for a while.

Thanks much.

Hi Maxwell, I've had this problem for a few months. It got to be really noticeable after I removed Norton 2007.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds