Windows XP (IE7) - Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hyphen, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Hyphen

Hyphen Private First Class

When browsing a few forums or just websites in general, I get an error that asks to send an error report and if I do or choose not to, my IE crashes. How can I fix this?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: Windows XP (IE7) - Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

Hi

Is your Windows XP fully upto date?

Did this just start reciently after you installed an application or toolbar if so what did you install?

Check in Event Viewer for an error code or reference to a faulting file from around the time of this error.

Also try running IE in no-addons mode (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer no-addons) and see if the same happens, if it doesnt then its very likely you have a faulting browser addon,

so start IE normally and click Tools > Manage Addons > Enable or Disable and disable all addons then restart IE and if Ok then enable one at a time until you find the cluprit and post its name here, but you can disable the cluprit and IE should work ok until we find what we need to update or delete to remove this error.

3. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Re: Windows XP (IE7) - Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

Halo - could it just be that IE7 needs to be updated? I had a similar problem and I went and basically reloaded it and since then I have had no problems or errors......

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Kathy, indeed could well be and a good suggestion, if you can post some instructions on how you did this as its probably fresh in your mind than mine.

5. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hope this helps. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds