Windows XP Install Halt error (Laptop)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EXOX3, Dec 7, 2009.

1. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Hey Guys,

I got myself an Ipex Companion 51a laptop, when I format the drive and start installing windows, it gets to 97% and I get a blue screen error, it says to check bios caching and shadowing, etc

But in the bios their isn't a caching option, I thought maybe it was the OEM windows, so I slipstreamed my copy of XP and SP3 together, again a halt error.

Any idea's and suggestions? I don't really have many bios options, and doing a search for this model laptop gives me basically nowhere to turn. :cry

I just want to get it up and running!

2. blackcivic

blackcivic Private E-2

at what point exactly does it stop at and give you the error and can you provide the exact error message as it shows?

3. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

It starts to get to 98%, then I get a error for wmnetmgr.dll, and I press excape, becuase hitting enter to try and copy it again fails, both my original XP and the slipstreamed, aswell as a few files after that, some copy, others don't.

I used the same XP only an hour ago to install XP on an acer aspire laptop, installed fine! Doing it on the Ipex laptop fails though. so it isn't the XP cd's

Then once that completes I get this blue screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xF74294CF,0xF7005668,0x00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F74294CF base at F73ED0000, DateStamp 48025277

4. blackcivic

blackcivic Private E-2

the stop code and setupdd.sys referred to hardware compatibility issues. Could be ram, something hardware related or driver issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

can you give any hardware specs and with regards to ram, depending on how much ram it came with, i would start with removing all ram modules and keep only one in there and see which one fails.

5. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

its got 2 gigs ram, 30gb HDD, P4 1.4GHz I think.

Will try the ram trick, I just did a full format instead of a quick format, still the same thing at 98% copying files.

If the ram trick fails I think I`ll try putting the HDD in this comp as master, install the files and see if it passes 98%, then shut it down before the rest of the install begins and put the hard drive back in the laptop and see how I go.

I don't know what brand the motherboard is in this Ipex laptop, so I can't find a BIOS update like it suggests, and their is no option in F2 Bios setup to turn off BIOS shadowing and caching, however on system post it says that bios caching and shadowing are enabled, but have no option to disable them :(

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It could be the hard disk, 30Gb models are getting pretty old now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds