Windows Xp Limited Bandwidth

Discussion in 'Software' started by Goldenskull, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Ok i have been looking around and found out the most windows OS like Xp have a limited Bandwidth in place Most Network's Utilization is about 10 to 20% of the real max amount.

I was looking threw Group Policy's section and came across this option to increase my Network's Utilization to 100% instead of the 20% of the max.

Speccy is now showing a 4MPs and up to 20Mps increase even though i have a 10Mb download and a 5 mb up load connection.

Even if you do increase the Network's Utilization to 100% your still only going to get about half of the speed you are getting.But it is better then being slow.

Put it at 0% so that there is no limit to the Bandwidth.

This is how i did this in Xp.Not sure if this work's in Vista,Windows 7 or 8 But this does work in Xp.

Go to Start menu
    Then Run
    Then Type this gpedit.msc

Then in Group Policy Object Folder.
    Local Computer Policy –>Computer Configuration –>Administrative Templates –>Network –>QOS Packet Scheduler –>Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the ‘Explain‘ tab:
    “By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default.”
    So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%. Works on XP Pro and 2000. Enjoy your full speed internet connection.:-D

You can play around with the settings if you like to get the perfect mix of speed

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I believe the "Microsoft steals 20% of Your Bandwidth" story has been debunked enough times in enough places to render it a joke. Solaris89 points to two of many such debunkings of the myth...

http://majorgeeks.com/SpeedGuide.net_TCP_Optimizer_d2104.html is a piece of software that will actually tweak your connection a bit. I use it, seems to make a noticable difference.

In my experience the speed you get from your broadband provider depends on several factors, among them are:

• Distance from the telecom exchange. The further away, the poorer the signal strength. 2 miles away or closer gives best results.
    • Time of day of usage/number of users on your node.
    • Distance from your computer and the server you're trying to connect to. Do a speed test with a web based service and try a server close to you, then one a thousand miles away.
    • The quality/age of your computer components and in particular any ethernet wiring, its length, and in the case of wireless, distance from router and obstructions in the way.

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

My First Post really works I was able to download my STO Game client and the patchs in about 20mins.It normally took me over an hour.

5. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Good for you! I had a feeling that anything documented to essentially be a joke would somehow work on your computer! :-D

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

One more caveat: most XP users have XP Home Edition which does not enable the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). Those users would have to use something like cipher's link in order to optimize their bandwidth usage.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds