windows xp network problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dougie17, Sep 22, 2005.

1. dougie17

dougie17 Private E-2

hi i'm new here so i will put it as best i can
    i have 3 xp computers connected to a billion adsl modem 2 work fine but 1 is driving me nuts
    it communicates with modem but cant access the internet i have turned off firewalls but to no luck but!!!!!! in safe mode its works fine
    it also has sp2 have tried hotfix kb890830 plus winsocksxpfix but still no luck
    does anyone have any idea's besides taking it out side and run over it......lol
    thank you for your time :confused: :confused:

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Thr billion adsl modem is actually a Modem/Router.

Check the Router's DHCP serve and make sure that it can "Dish" 3 IPs.

:D

3. dougie17

dougie17 Private E-2

sorry forgot to mention its a 4 port router

4. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

So, you only have one device? A modem/router. Not two? Just want to confirm.

What IP address do you get? Check this through the command prompt. Do you have to use a broadband PPPoE/PPPoA connectoid on your PC (like a dial-up connection, but faster)? Or do you put your username and password into your modem/router and it automatically connects to the internet when necessary?

Just for the record, you shouldn't have to run a Windows network wizard at all.

5. dougie17

dougie17 Private E-2

i set it up to connect automaticly and i manually set ip addresses i have uninstalled the driver dozens of times

6. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

If you thoroughly answer my questions, I can help. Help me help you.

What IP address have you given it?
    So you just use one device, a combo router/modem? Or is your modem separate from your modem (two devices)?
    What firewalls have you "turned off"? Sometimes you have to uninstall them completely.
    Has this worked in the past?

Not to mention that if it works in safe mode, like you say it does, it's quite possibly a program loading on startup that's causing it not to work properly in normal mode.

7. dougie17

dougie17 Private E-2

the ip i give it is 192.168.1.101 subnet is 255.255.255.0
    i use a realtek 8139/810x family fast ethernet card
    the modem is a billion bipac5100 adsl router with a 4 port switch
    modem is set to connect automaticlly
    only firewall i have is windows one and its turned off
    i also stopped all programs from starting up from boot

8. kbrown1835

kbrown1835 Private E-2

is the modem/router set to send out DHCP addresses? If so, make sure your network card is set to DHCP.

Run "ipconfig /all" from command prompt, should get an ip in the same range as the router.

If you do, can you ping the router from pc?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds