windows xp, pirate copy

Discussion in 'Software' started by knackers, May 8, 2008.

1. knackers

knackers Private E-2

hi all, i bought a computer for the kids from a computer market, all was well until i tried to install my new trend micro security on the computer, that's when i found out the windows xp installed on the computer is not genuine, and i cannot even download the free avg onto it, i went to a computer shop to buy a genuine windows xp and they do not sell them any more, would anybody please know what i can do to solve the problem? any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated, cheers, mick.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I think you are going to have a problem to find a new copy of XP as it's all vista now and i don't know any way round it.

you can clean the disk with this

http://killdisk.com/

but you will have to search for a new OS unless you decide to install Vista, maybe Microsoft can help with a download?

good luck

3. knackers

knackers Private E-2

hi, thanx for your reply, my own comp has vista home premium which is very frustrating, that's why i chose xp for the kids, i have had trend micro security on the vista for 12 months, i updated this week to the 2008 version and every time i try to scan my comp it freezes, any suggestions as to what wouls be the cause? cheers, mick.

4. alontheriver

alontheriver Private First Class

5. knackers

knackers Private E-2

hi, thanx for link but it's no good for australia, cheers, mick.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

7. Akumos

Akumos Private E-2

Visit this site:

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Windows-XP-Product-Key

Follow the instructions. You can then use the internet or MS telephone number for a legit product key which will make your version of windows legal. I think it's £85 for the new key though, cheaper than buying a new copy on disc.

Or, search harder on the net for a copy! It's still available until June, are you in the UK? If so: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-XP-Home-Service-Pack/dp/B00061H588
    It's about £160 with SP2 installed.

8. Tarquin BA

Tarquin BA Private First Class

9. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

depends on what part of Australia you are in theres a place near me called icomit systems that sell windows xp home addition for $159 its at tuggerah westfields shopping plazza nsw

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Can't buy XP?!?!?! "It's all Vista now"?!?!?! Hmmm.... here in the US, Windows XP is going strong and still very easy to purchase just about anywhere including Office Depot and even CostCo....

11. knackers

knackers Private E-2

hi, thank you all very much for your help, links, suggestions etc, i think i'll be able to work it out thanx to you all, the reason the computer shops are not stocking or selling windows these days is because they are selling the computers with windows already installed, which is what happened with my own pc, i have genuine windows vista home premium on it, but no back up disc, the way of the future i guess, i can buy windows at a reasonable price on ebay but they say i have to be a computer builder to make the purchase. i think i'll change my profession to a computer builder and retire after i buy it. thank you all very much for your help once again. cheers, mick.

12. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

no worries knackers i know about the vista issue on new computers my inlaws did the same brought a new one with vista and weren't overly impressed by it they tried to get a copy of xp but couldn't find anywhere to buy it i stumbled across this place when i thought i blew my Ethernet card there legit copies of xp from a computer tech just thought i would mention it

13. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Plenty of copies of XP on Ebay - though you do need to be a little careful if buying software from here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds