windows xp pro - lost and overwritten product key

Discussion in 'Software' started by birgit, Jul 14, 2005.

1. birgit

birgit Private E-2

:rolleyes: I had a licended version windows xp pro installed. I couldn't boot the computer anymore and repair hasn't been successfull. A friend installed his windows xp home version which changed the registry and I cannot
    find the product key for my windows xp cd.
    I found a registry backup file from last year and thought it might contain the product key for xp pro but cannot access any data. How I can access this backup or is there any other way to retrieve the product key for installation ?

Thanks for your help,
    Birgit

2. jak3y

jak3y Guest

my guess, if you registered, contact MS and they should have you in their database...take it from there...

3. birgit

birgit Private E-2

Thanks - I shall ring MS - thought only I could find it myself as I saw so many hints about retrieving product keys.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Those programs only access the current key. What the code to find the key is a mystery. I'd love to find an opensouce keyfinder program so I can do what you are talking about, by reading the code.

5. birgit

birgit Private E-2

What about the registry backup file - is there any way to access it or why has it been created at all ? I also would like to have access to other lost data and hoped there are information stored I could use.

Thanks,
    Birgit

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

What other information was lost?

If you were to go to "documents and settings" directory, you should be able to find your old settings.....

I have a few unstable ideas that will more than likely not work....with your registry backup....

But, i'd search around your house for that cd key....

7. birgit

birgit Private E-2

I would like to get access to my old emails and don't know how. About the key I shall ring MS or search further ;-)))))

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

What email program were you using?

9. birgit

birgit Private E-2

Outlook express - found the addressbook but nothing else.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just an FYI: Lost product keys cost 10 dollars from MS :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds