Windows Xp Pro Only Boots in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by a scary crayon, Apr 14, 2010.

1. a scary crayon

a scary crayon Private E-2

Well recently, my computer hasn't been working. About 3 weeks ago, I shutdown my computer, and left it alone all night. The next day, I went to turn it on and my computer would start and show the Windows XP Logo and the loading bar. It then turned to a black screen where it wouldn't open the Welcome screen. I left it to see if it was just slow booting up, but it stayed on the black screen.

So far, I have only been able to Start Windows XP in Safe Mode by opening the Boot Menu when I first turn on my computer. I made sure to copy all of my files in safe mode to my flash drives. Then I tried to re-install Windows XP Pro with the Upgrade disk I have. After deleting and recreating the partition, I tried to install Windows. It didn't work, saying it couldn't properly create the partition. So I put in another hard drive I had which also had Windows Xp already installed onto it. It booted up to the Welcome Screen and then automatically turned off by itself and started to repeat what my last hard drive was doing. I successfully re-installed Windows Xp Pro onto this hard drive, but it continues to do the same thing. I have a Dell computer, which is about 5+ years old. Help?

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Have you removed and then reseated your Memory modules?
    Sounds to me like one is loose or defective.

3. a scary crayon

a scary crayon Private E-2

Definitely not. I've moved it a couple of times. So here's what I did. I took another computer without a hard drive, put in the hard drive, and put in my memory. I installed Windows Xp Profressional successfully and now I can get on. Sometimes it will do the same thing except I can boot it up on "Last Known Good Configuration" It's not as much of a problem now as it was before, but I'm still looking for a complete solution.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds