Windows XP Repair-Data corruption

Discussion in 'Software' started by PWD9, Sep 13, 2012.

1. PWD9

PWD9 Private E-2

Windows XP Professional on MY PC had got corrupt.
    I tried to repair it using a CD but was not able to do it becoz I chose a wrong option and pressed 'escape ' and 'R' instead of waiting for the process to complete
    I also saw in the command prompt that opened up that "My Documents" was not there....My User folder that contains documents had got corrupt ..I guess

I installed Windows XP on my E Drive...but the data in My Documents was still empty and user Directory 'Admin' was not present but a hidden file 'Admin' was present

Then I tried to repair the Windows XP in C drive but the option of repair does not appear

What is the chance of the original Windows XP in C drive getting repaired
    and what is the chance of getting the data recovered using Windows repair option

Can anybody help please

2. gvstn

gvstn Private E-2

Hi,

Boot to the E: drive and then open My Computer. Double-click the C: drive and then double click Documents and Settings folder. Please give a list of the folders you see inside. Does the folder with your old user name appear and if it does do you get a permission error when trying to open it?

Separately, you can right-click the C: drive and select Properties. Then under the Tools tab select Error Checking and hit the Check now button. In the window that opens, tick both boxes and hit Start button. If you get a message about dismounting the drive say yes. This will attempt to fix any corruption on the C: drive.

3. PWD9

PWD9 Private E-2

Hi

First option did not work and I see a file by the name "Admin" instead of Admin folder. I guess the folder named "Admin" is corrupted.

Checked the second option also but I did not get any option to dismount the drive.

Can I get the original Windows working that was installed on C drive.
    I guess the boot sector has changed to E drive when I installed Windows on this drive and cannot see the option to repair C drive through Windows XP repair option.

Fortunately I got most of the data that were pictures of last 5 years recovered.
    (I had not taken backup of those)
    Some of them seem to be missing

I am still looking for a way to repair the old windows xp.

Can any one please help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds