Windows XP Restore Point File Names

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stardance, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Stardance

Stardance Private E-2

While I was watching a Malwarebytes' Antimalware scan, it was processing files in the System Volume Information directory, which contains restore points. Some files were being displayed as having names such as ... A000180, A000181, A000182, A000183, A000184 .... and incrementing each filename by the digit 1 in the rightmost character, and increasing the digit to its left when the rightmost digit reached 9 and became 0 for the next filename. In other words, the names of the files were serial numbers.

Is that how the files are named by Windows XP for Restore Points?? I always thought that they would have the actual, original filename and extention, at least, even if not the entire pathname for each file.

Thank-you for your assistance.

2. Stardance

Stardance Private E-2

UPDATE: According to Malwarebytes Antimalware tech support, the files in Windows XP System Restore Points do have filenames such as the ones that I have described.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds