Windows XP "send to" option locking pc up

Discussion in 'Software' started by slapntickle, Apr 25, 2006.

1. slapntickle

slapntickle Private E-2

I think it would be called the drop down menu? I'll describe what is happening. If I got in to my documents or any file and right click on it, the "send to" option will highlight when I put the cursor over it then it locks up. If I open the task manager it will say that the file it not responding , as in my pctures, etc.Also noticed while trying to fix this problem my "share to web" icon on desk top does the same thing. Would really like to fix this, it's the method I generaly use to move my files from place to place.

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

You may find your answer HERE; http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89704 The last post in the thread

Hope it helps

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Check to see if this folder exists:

c:\documents and settings\username\send to (where username is the name of the account you're logged in as)

This folder contains the shortcuts to the programs on the list. If this directory exists, you could perhaps try recreating your shortcuts.

If that doesn't help, try this:

1. Insert your XP installation CD
    2. Hit windows key + r (or click start --> run)
    3. Type 'cmd' (without the quotes)
    4. Press enter (or click ok)
    5. Type 'sfc /scannow' (without the quotes)
    6. Press enter

This runs the system file checker. This will replace your existing system files with known good ones from the installation CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds