Windows XP Set Up won't respond to <f2>

Discussion in 'Software' started by Heavy Mettle Squid, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Heavy Mettle Squid

Heavy Mettle Squid Private E-2

I was trying, to no avail, to repair my Windows XP installation using the repair option <R> from the Recovery Console. This was in response to persistent failure to boot, with a dreaded error message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt". The file, which was purportedly missing or corrupt, is WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NTFS.SYS. However, after following the guidelines of Microsoft Article ID 555531, I have good reason to believe that the subject file is in fact alive and well, in the directory where it belongs - because the article instructed me on how to copy it from the original Windows installation disk. The DIR command pretty much confirms this, but the error message prevails. Also, before perform the above, I ran CHKDSK from the C:\ prompt.

Subsequently, I recompiled the BOOT.INI file by running BOOTCFG /REBUILD and FIXBOOT, in accordance with the nice article posted on Icrontic Tech titled "Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands". Reading this article gave me hope, but alas after running through the procedure - twice - my PC still fails to boot and displays the same error message. Well, at this point I have exhausted my tricks and decided to try the Set Up option from the welcome screen, rather than the repair option I had been attempting.

So, I hit enter and was presented with the Windows XP EULA, where upon I am given three options, <f2> being the one that accepts the EULA and continues. Problem is Set Up is not responding to the <f2> key:cry I tried a different keyboard. Also, I know the <f2> key was working previously in the course of my trouble-shooting. All I can do is hit <Esc> to disagree (with EULA) and quit. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Strange, as all of my experience with doing a clean install wanted you to press f8 to agree to the EULA.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Nothing to lose by trying f8.

4. Heavy Mettle Squid

Oops! Nothings strange, except me - i meant to type <f8>. This was a typo. sorry for the confusion.

5. LT Dan

LT Dan Private E-2

press f lock then f8

:cool

6. Heavy Mettle Squid

Thanks LT Dan. f lock then f8 worked! Got me one step further. Now the system is hanging on XP Set Up.:cry
    One step closer to reformatting the drive - at this point I don't know what else can be tried.:banghead

7. LT Dan

LT Dan Private E-2

Ok, if it's hanging on the clean install i'm just guessen, something is wrong with not enough memory or take the motherboard bios battery out, let her sit for a bit, then put the battery back in, go into bios, reset everything, turn off what you don't want or need, like serial or parallel ports, any ide channels not used, like if yer dvd and hard drive were on one cable turn off ide2, etc. then try it, make sure the disc isn't scratched up, maybe blow out the drive i'm just guessen, sincerely, rod

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds