Windows XP sp2 downloaded but cant find file

Discussion in 'Software' started by haroldathampton, Nov 20, 2006.

1. haroldathampton

haroldathampton Private E-2

Good evening ladies and gents,

I have been here before and you were able to help me so I request you attention once more. I downloaded sp2 last night but due to the late hour I was unable to install it. Now I can't locate the file to do that actual install. Can someone help me?

Much thanks,

Harold

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Do a search. The filename should be WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe if you downloaded vs. using Windows Update.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Im lazy. Go to our front page, download any file, you can hit cancel before downloading, then you will see where the last saved download is. Lots of people use their desktop, I am guessing you looked there?

4. haroldathampton

I beleive that I was using the windows update when I downloaded it. Will that make a difference. I know I sat through 79 Mb or so to download.

Harold

5. Major Attitude

Windows update should have run it afterwards, odds are the download didnt complete, return to Windows Update and try updates again.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

7. haroldathampton

OK....I guess I should explain the whole story. I have a trojan or maleware on my computer that keeps redirecting my IE searches. My viruse scanner can't delete it or repair it. I have to download sp2 (according to you read & run section) to get the correct updates to repair my computer. The maleware, if i remeber correctly is windows/sysvx.exe.

Do I really need to update to sp2 to get the proper program to repair this issue? My system won't allow me to get back to the windows update site, run spybot, run ccleaner, or any program such as that. It has erased all my restore points so I can't go back via that manner either. It took me over an hour to get to this great site.

Harold

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Whoa back ....you do not want to try to install sp/2 while you may be infected with malware ...it will screw your system.
    Read and run first - Malware section
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Post the problem in the malware section, they will work a solution before you dl sp/2.

9. Major Attitude

Excellent catch Tim, please follow his advice, in the geek world, it is well known that you never install sp2 unless your pc is clean. You might consider a fresh install to be sure, then sp2, then make an image so you can restore it with everything installed later if need be. This can be done in a couple hours and assures your malware free, it is quicker too. Of couse, a fresh install is not always that simple for everyone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds