Windows XP SP2 freezing on logout

Discussion in 'Software' started by trowter, Sep 18, 2004.

1. trowter

trowter Private First Class

When 2 of us are logged in, and I try to logout, my computer gets hung up on the "Saving your Settings" screen. It doesn't seem to happen when the other user logs out, just me. It doesn't seem to have to do with the programs running because I think they're different each time. Does anybody have any ideas to help? This hasn't been happening very long, maybe a week or two.
    Thanks

2. trowter

Hi there:
    I'm still having this problem....can anybody give me ANY ideas where to start looking to solve this problem?...Pleeeeease

3. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

HI, I am a single user so don't really have experience with this.

You say you are the only user it is happening to so would it be possible to set up another account for you and forget about your old log on. It might be that your details have been corrupted somehow.

If your computer is unning fine this might be the easiest solution.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

trowter,
    Sorry about missing your problem for so long. Try terminating all processes in your task manager and all software and then shutting down. If this works then there is some application still in memory that is causing the problem.

5. YOO

YOO Private E-2

im afraid of getting SP2 :rolleyes:

6. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

HI, I had no problems with it except I had Spyguard running when I installed it. Realised it, switched it off and the computer has never gone better.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Aha!! ;)

8. trowter

Hi Kodo:
    Thanks for the suggestion...I tried terminating all processes before logging out...I ended them all except for taskmgr.exe and two others which it would not let me end because they were critical to running the computer...It still froze on the "Saving your settings" screen...What do I try now?

9. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Ok I had a similar problem right after I installed SP2. I found that SP2 doesn't like Style XP at all. What it done was......it would hang up on boot & then it would also hang on shutdown just as yours is doing. I had to remove Style XP. I was able to reinstall it, but had the same problem with bootup. I was getting an error about the bootup screen being corrupt.

Now I realize your problem might not be Style Xp specifically, but maybe some proggy is not playing well with the updates in SP2.

Also could it be the one of the Profiles is corrupt? Been there before. hehe Just some thoughts.

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Well, this apparently worked for pre sp1

Disable the welcome screen

11. trowter

Thanks for all your help...My patience got the best of me with this one, so I took mal1930's suggestion to delete the old user and start up a new one...THAT WORKED
    Sometimes the obvious is just too easy

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

glad you got it sorted ;)

13. trowter

My happiness has once again turned to sadness :rolleyes: ...My computer worked for a whole 2 days, until this morning it froze again upon logout, so it wasn't just my user...Can it be something conflicting with the other user? The other user had no applications running at the time, just 40 processes running. My computer is P4 2.8, 1G Dual Channel DDR RAM, with a 160G harddrive, so memory isn't a problem.

14. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

check your event log to see if you have any warnings or errors recently or that pertain to the recent days you have had problems loggin off .

15. trowter

Hi there:
    I'm pretty new to the computer scene, and don't know how to find the event log...Can somebody tell me how to find it?
    Thanks

16. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

right click on mycomputer icon. chooose mange..

from the left list, choose event viewer. Look at the system events and see if you find anything regarding shutting down or hung apps.

17. trowter

Thanks for the help...OK, I just crashed myself again, and got the following message in the system log

Terminal Server session creation failed. The relevant status code was 0xC0000037

I went to the additional information link to Microsoft, and they had no information or help available for this error

If you need any more info, please let me know
    Tanya :)

18. trowter

Hi There:
    So I've now tried to talk to Dell regarding this most annoying problem of mine...They tell me the only way to fix it is to Reinstall Windows...Is this true?
    I have 30G used up on my hard drive...What will happen to that? Do I lose it all?
    So many questions.....

19. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Try disabling the terminal server service.

start..run.. type
    SERVICES.MSC

look for TERMINAL SERVICES on the right and right click on it..choose properties. STOP the service and then choose disable from the drop down box and then APPLY the change.

Report back.

20. trowter

Ok, I disabled the Terminal Services Server, but then I couldn't switch users, so I started it up again...

I did try something else which seemed to help. I completely disabled my startup menu to see what would happen...No freezing...I then started to to add items back one by one until the freezing started again...Spysweeper seems to be the program causing this error??????
    Why would it do that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds