Windows XP SP3 Conflict

Discussion in 'Software' started by hcaoc7, Dec 3, 2008.

1. hcaoc7

hcaoc7 Private E-2

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite A60-S156, with a ATI Radeon Mobility 7000 IGP display adapter. I installed the XP SP3 update and upon restart I received an error message telling me that there is no driver installed for the display adapter. When it starts it is in 4 colors and a big resolution. When I try to change it I get a message that this version of the driver isn't supported by this version of windows. However I have checked and I am running the newest version of the driver (6.14.10.6430). Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? ATI simply told me to unistall SP3. Which I did and the problem cleared up, however I would like to update this computer. What should I do?

Thanks,

2. hcaoc7

hcaoc7 Private E-2

One more thing, I'm running XP Pro.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i'm not quite sure ati has a driver for your computer that's compatible with sp3....as a matter of fact, i can't find your specific video card on ati's website, and toshiba's only driver listed is from 2004... are you sure the driver set you have is compatible with sp3? it may be the new drivers, but because your video card is a bit older, it just may not support it.

4. hcaoc7

hcaoc7 Private E-2

Thanks, for the reply. I found that card on the discontinued list :( . Can I ask you another question? Thanks, If it is not compatible with SP3 how do I still keep my computer updated with the critical updates from Microsoft but not install SP3?

5. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

SP3 is mainly a rollup of all updates since SP2, last I saw SP2 was a requirement to keep up with Microsoft/Windows updates, not SP3. Hope that is still the case, but after checking, I see it is not. There is Windiz using Firefox but the updates aren't timely, I would check each month to see which updates were released and manully download and install them from the Microsoft Download Center. If it were a desktop a new graphics card would probably be easier.

6. hcaoc7

hcaoc7 Private E-2

Thanks, for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds