Windows XP start up trouble

Discussion in 'Software' started by minorgeek14618, Jul 7, 2008.

1. minorgeek14618

minorgeek14618 Private E-2

the computer and the monitor are both functioning, and the connection is good. i restarted to apply new settings on the screen resolution (i just bought a new LCD monitor) and the changes canceled once the computer booted, and they were set to a very low resolution, and i could not change the color bit or the resolution, so i just tried to restart and try again. the computer started its normal boot, and then the screen went blank, just before windows finishes loading. i unplugged the system, and then i tryed to reboot using the advanced menu (F8) using safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, VGA mode, and Just starting normally. the latter two had the same effect as before (blank screen)
    safe modes will begin to start, but freeze when it hits sometihng like
    [multi(0)disc(0)System32(0).MUP]

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I know this is a stupid question but shouldn't the manual or the guidelines that came with the new LCD monitor tell you something about what settings one ought to have?

3. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

How long does it stay paused at multi(0)disc(0)System32(0).MUP?

Have you tried waiting a little while what safemode supposedly freezes? Sometimes it takes a little longer to boot.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

When Windows hangs after the loading of Mup.sys it is an indication that some peripheral is either not registered in the Registry correctly or a piece hardware itself is damaged or an incorrect driver is not allowing a piece of hardware to load.
    Mup.sys is the last of the Windows XP core drivers to load before the other hardware parts of the computer are loaded. Therefore what you are seeing is that the basic Windows functions have been successfully loaded; Mup.sys being the last of these will show on your screen.
    The first thing to try when this happens is to disconnect all the peripherals (Printer, External Hard Drives, USB devices etc.) and reboot.
    If your reboot is successful, then reconnect each one seperately, trying again.
    This will allow you to narrow down where the hang actually is taking place.
    There is a good page with several more elaborate fixes here:
    http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

Seeing as you mention that your problems started while setting up a new monitor, that is the most likely candidate.
    Reinstall your old monitor and see if the computer boots up.
    If it does:
    go to the device manager
    delete all monitor drivers
    turn your computer off
    hook up the new monitor and reboot
    this will allow Windows to install the monitor driver from its cache. (Most LCD monitors will operate fine using generic drivers)
    If the new monitor came with an installation disk, you should run its setup to get the most from your new monitor.

5. minorgeek14618

it did have the suggested resolution, and when i changed to it, this all happend. it stays on [...MUP] overnight, ive tried it, and even tried the old monnitor. im so face-down in the water right now

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

The only possible solution that I can think of is to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard (It is a small coin-shaped "watch-type" battery).
    Leave it out for a while (at least 15 minutes) so that the ESCD is reset.
    ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data) is where the BIOS (Basic Input Output Systems) stores its settings for your peripherals.
    Once you replace the battery, the BIOS will reallocate the resourses for all your peripherals and (hopefully) Windows will then reload the generic monitor driver for you.

7. minorgeek14618

could you give me a step-by-step?

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Another thought...the settings you picked for the new LCD might not be possible with your current video card. What I want isn't always possible.
    I one had the stupid notion to have the computer show me all the possible resolutions instead of just the ones that the card could handle. Well I set what i wanted, rebooted and got a black screen with out of range showing. I couldn't figure out how to change it without a display so I did a clean install again. At least I learn from my many mistakes...I was never tempted to select show me all the possible resolutions again!

9. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Turn off and unplug the computer
    Open the case
    Locate the CMOS battery

[​IMG]

(This is a generic picture. Your computer's motherboard may look a little different)
    Remove the battery
    Wait at least 15 minutes
    (There may be a set of jumpers next to the battery - see arrow in picture. usually there are 3 pins and the jumper is on 2 of them. Remove the jumper and place it on the other 2 pins. This will clear the CMOS. Make certain you replace the jumper the way it was after you are done)

Replace battery and close computer case
    Plug it back in and reboot.

If this doesn't work, I'm afraid that you will have to do a repair install of your OS, as Plodr suggests.

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi minorgeek and joelsz :)

Joelsz, skim down to the end of this thread http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1047532372 and tell me what you think about switching slots for a RAM chip/or removing one of multiple RAM chips.

Something went wrong with installing monitor drivers in minor's machine. It looks like changing some piece of hardware forces XP to rescan for all changes and perhaps in this case rebuild the display/monitor drivers.

I would try this procedure with your old monitor attached. You can figure out the new monitor later.

I would go ahead and try moving a RAM stick since it is easy and several people have had success with it. To try moving a RAM stick the procedure is the same shutdown, unplug the PC and find the RAM slots. If you have more than one take the second one out. Then try to start in safe mode. If you only have one try moving it to a different slot then starting in safe mode. The RAM slots are behind the four white clips to the right in the pic below from this page.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  11. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

That's a novel approach and one that might well work.
    I believe that I have read that any change to hardware will cause a total rebuild of the ESCD.
    This is certainly worth a try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds