Windows XP startup very slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by VerySlowXP, Oct 26, 2009.

1. VerySlowXP

VerySlowXP Private E-2

Since 10/15, my computer (XP with 512 MB RAM) has had very slow startups. After entering in my password, I get the welcome screen for about 30 seconds and then I am taken to my blank desktop. The only thing there is my background; there are no icons, there is no start button, nothing until 1-3 minutes later.

At one point, it wouldn't even load after more than 3-5 minutes of waiting. I tried safe mode and it started fine, although I couldn't print or use the internet (in safe mode with networking). A few days later, it actually started up and I found this site and tried doing a few cleaning tasks. I ran CCleaner and it removed over 1,000 megabytes of junk and over 130 registry errors :eek and used disk cleanup and defragmented. After that, my computer HAS been able to start, but it still takes 1-3 minutes for everything to load. Once everything gets loaded, the PC works fine.

I have very little on my startup list. I reviewed it and removed Google Update (I use Chrome) and Sandboxie Control. No change. A few days before the problems began, my Norton Antivirus removed Trojan.Pidief.F, a backdoor. Since my Online Armor never reported anything suspicous going on, it was probably dormant or locked down by OA. Further scans from Norton and Malwarebytes haven't revealed anything. I don't think I installed or changed anything before the slowness; it just happened all of a sudden.

I hope I am not leaving out any info that is needed. I will be very grateful for any help.

2. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

well can you give a list of your start up just for diagnostic sake?

also the fact that safe mode started fine makes me think its in your start up. but the fact that even while you were in safe mode with networking you couldnt get internet is whats got me. have you had any internet issues while in regular windows mode?

try restoring your registry with the backup that ccleaner should have made and see if that doesnt fix it a bit.

ps: do you know the path that the backdoor your norton got was it may have been an important file that was infected and removed and could be needed

3. VerySlowXP

VerySlowXP Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I am almost ready to post in the board you referred me to. This may be a stupid question, but it says that ComboFix is a very powerful tool meant for use under guidance by pros. Since I may not even be infected in the first place, should I run Combofix?

4. VerySlowXP

VerySlowXP Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds