Windows XP Stuck in boot loop

Discussion in 'Software' started by the80sroklej, Jan 27, 2010.

1. the80sroklej

the80sroklej Private E-2

Hi all,
    Was wondering if you could help.

So this morning my computer has a blue screen, so i restarted it to find that its now stuck in a boot loop.

Nothing has been installed recently, Maybe Windows Update launched and caused this problem?

I am able to get into safe mode though.

Ive scanned with Malwarebytes, found a few things and cleaned but still wont boot.

I was going to use the Windows disc however the computer has SP3 and the disc is SP2.

Is there a way I can load registry settings from 2 days ago?

2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Use the windows XP disc. Instead of doing an install, go to Recovery Console. Login by selecting your windows install. Username: Administrator . leave the password blank.

type what you see in bold. press the keys that you see in italics.

fixboot enter.
    (for any prompts, y enter)

fixmbr enter.
    (for any prompts, y enter)

power down your computer and try again.

3. the80sroklej

the80sroklej Private E-2

I tried the fixboot. I was able to use the fixmbr but I got a warning saying something like "This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record". So I didnt proceed.

I am still getting the loop.

4. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

wonder if the Winternals ERD Commander would be able to fix it, if anyone had a copy of it

5. the80sroklej

the80sroklej Private E-2

Cant seem to find a downloadable, Any other recommendations?

6. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

well,

i have a copy in .iso form

can emule use IP address to exchange files?

7. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

If you are able to boot into safe mode, then you should be able to do a system restore.

8. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

have you looked into msconfig from the run off of start?

general tab > normal startup

boot.ini tab > uncheck /safeboot

9. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

In safe mode, go ahead and do the system restore. Start > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

And fixmbr wouldnt have broken anything.

10. the80sroklej

the80sroklej Private E-2

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

I tried MSConfig previously, no luck. Like with everything I tried.

System restore was already disabled so I didnt have the option of trying that.

Ideally I wanted to roll the registry back a few days but I couldn't find out how to do it.

I ended up uninstalling SP3 and using the XP (SP2) disc to repair the installation. Not what I wanted really and considered it a last option.

However the machine is up and running now.

11. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

nice work :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds