Windows XP stuck in repair. Wants CD key that I don't have.

Discussion in 'Software' started by djancak, Aug 10, 2008.

1. djancak

djancak Private E-2

Greetings.

Here's my situation: I am working on a DELL PC with XP Home. A virus had infected the system and many components of Windows have been altered.

After removing many of the virii, I then tried to use a DELL XP Home disk to perform a repair on the OS. However, the DELL disk did not offer that option. I then tried a XP Home Retail disk, which did offer the repair option.

Now it wants me to type in the CD Key for XP Home, and will not accept the key that the Dell came with. I'd like to avoid having to pirate an XP Home key to get this to work. I do not want to replace the configuration files with repair files.

2. djancak

djancak Private E-2

bumping the thread

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The OEM disks usually do not offer the "REPAIR" option for an installed XP installation. Using the OEM set of disks the user is expected to reinstall everything.

The Dell OEM product key on your machine is not useable with the retail version of the software.

I believe you only have two choices. Wipe the machine and reinstall with the OEM disks or use the retail product key.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Perhaps you should first make sure that your system is clean and that the problems you are having are not still malware issues.

5. djancak

djancak Private E-2

I'm certain that this issue is not due to malware. Certainly malware is still in the system, however.

It's a problem caused by the Windows repair feature.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I was suggesting that a visit to the malware forum might fix your need to do a repair install. :)

7. I would suggest a complete reinstall. Otherwise you going to have to "pirate a key or other means..." Xp to make it work.And doing a repair withthe Dell disk over a retail XP won't make it activated. (trust me ..I know)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds