Windows XP, troubleshooting conflicts, can't close certain programs, please help.

Discussion in 'Software' started by zempasuchitl, Dec 5, 2008.

1. zempasuchitl

zempasuchitl Private E-2

hi. i am trying to benchmark my PC, and troubleshoot some program conflicts.
    i have bitdefender on my computer, and i want to try closing it down to see what effect it has on other programs.
    i can stop it's primary services inside of the program, but the main executables are still running in my process list.
    i have tried to stop the services from the manage computer tabs and inside of the task manager, but bitdefender denies me access.
    i understand this must have to do with viruses taking over your computer, but i want control over this situation anyway.

how do i circumvent bidefender's authority on it's service to do my tests?

i am functioning from the only account on my computer, and it is administrator, but perhaps i need to enable some extended administrative value that i do no know about?

i know how to, and am comfortable altering registry values, and creating new registry values, and i have used the administrator tools before.

if somebody is really advanced out there, and knows how to do this, i will be able to understand your answer (and very grateful!).

thank you for taking the time to read this...

brian

2. zempasuchitl

zempasuchitl Private E-2

okay. uh. yeah, you answered my last post about this. i think bit defender is conflicting heavily with IE7.
    I tried turning off the plug-ins like you suggested, and i still have those hangs and IE7 gets all stuck on stuff.
    however, firefox is working really well.
    i am still uncomfortable with this situation though, because i prefer IE7, and i think it's a little scary that i can't use it.

so... i tried to turn off bit defender. and i realized i couldn't. and it's pretty frustrating.

so anyway. i would really like to find out if IE7 would work alright without bit defender. and additionally, i want to know what other performance impacts bit defender is having on my system by testing my computer with it on, and with it off.

thanks for getting back to me.
    and i hope my question is articulated okay.

-brian

3. zempasuchitl

zempasuchitl Private E-2

just an update...

i tried to stop bitdefender services from the command line with the net stop "service" command, and that didn't work. (and i also invoked a cmd with full administrative privileges and that didn't help)

i am beginning to think that bitdefender makes it impossible to really turn it off without an uninstall.

but perhaps there is a way?

thanks again to anyone taking the time to read this.
    -brian

4. zempasuchitl

zempasuchitl Private E-2

ah, that's a good point. it seems like you think uninstalling BD is not the best next step though. i defer to your judgment on troubleshooting IE7. what do you think i should do next?

i guess you must have the last thread, but i will mention again that i have tried repairing the IE7 installation and reinstalling it, and other than hangs and freezes, it seems to be fine. also, i never had a lot of plugins. just flash and shockwave, basic stuff.

and one last thing... i am really curious after trying and failing. is there a way to shut down BD services without an uninstall? just for curiosity's sake. (i know that your point about a clean uninstall is important)

5. zempasuchitl

zempasuchitl Private E-2

absolutely 100% understood.

i just want to know how to do it.

because it's killing me that i can't turn it off, and if i ever say, want to work offline, and want every ounce of my RAM and CPU available for other programs, i want to be able to completely disable it without having to uninstall it every time.

but that's a secondary matter, if you think that BitDefender is not likely the problem with IE7:

"You think it is caused by Bit Defender - which to be honest I doubt very much or you would have found a truly massive number of BitDefender users posting about it on their forums, after all IE7 is still a massively used browser and if BitDefender conflicted with it all hell would break loose."

then i don't want to uninstall it, if you doubt very much that the IE7 hangs are caused by Bit Defender.

i want to do whatever you think i should do next because you know way more than i do about this stuff.

but, i also *really* would like to know how to turn it off if ever i want to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds