Windows XP update photo gallery

Discussion in 'Software' started by drgnrider, Jun 15, 2007.

1. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

I’m stumped!

I have two computers, (laptop running XP-Home and desktop running XP-PRO); both of these are trying to do a windows update and are hanging at ‘Installing Photo Gallery’. To my knowledge, neither are running Photo Gallery. As the Windows update progresses, it asks for the Photo Gallery CD, as I don’t have one I have to cancel the install, it then tries to “update” two more times before it finally aborts. I have been unable to bypass this update and move on to another.

The only common thing I can see is that both are using HP all-in-one printers (different models & set ups) and have the HP software installed.

I tried to check Windows’ website but it was of no help. Any ideas?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. drgnrider

drgnrider Private E-2

Downloaded the file and ran it on my laptop (XP-Home). It ran and closed. I rebooted, it still wants to install Photo Gallery.

When I look in the program lists, the only “Photo” programs present are: PhotoImpression & Photosmart (HP all-in-one).

4. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

You don't have to install anything from Microsoft or Windows Update that you don't want to if you are doing it manually, as I always do. I leave Automatic Updates on Notify Only and when notified go to the web site and check. (You can also choose to hide updates if you wish.) If those are the only two photo programs installed try putting in the HP disk. If it is still bothering you uninstall HP printer software, reboot and try Microsoft or Windows Update again. You will then need to reinstall your printer. First thing I got rid of from the HP software was Memories Disk, talk about poor software. We run two HP printers, the Office Jet 6110 all-in-one does scan, fax, document imaging, copy, photo printing. Rarely use it, usually use the 2170, all cartridges are priced terribly. And HP makes most of their money on printers, they are made to last two to three years now, which does bring the cost down somewhat, but I really should be using a dot matrix for black and white print jobs and banners.
    Sorry, I used to recommend HP products, not any more.
    Bug

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds