Windows XP won't boot up past the POST

Discussion in 'Software' started by 1idvet, Mar 14, 2004.

1. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

I probably should have searched more, but I'm on meds and there ain't no telling how long I can keep the fog out of my brain... ;)

I have a computer that I just put Windows XP on it.

I downloaded the first windows update SP1 and I was messing with the desk top properties, to get the screen to look right.

I finally got something that looked right and had to shut down for the changes.
    As the system starts to reboot, I get the Windows XP POST, but then I get a black screen and cannot do a damn thing.

I can reboot and enter the BIOS, but I still get the same problem.
    I tried booting from the Windows XP disk, but I get an error boot.ini file incorrect, or something like that.

I am willing to just format the hard drive and start all over, but I can't even get a DOS prompt to do that.

Any of you smart and savvy folks have a clue as to how I can either, get it to boot up past the POST, or even format the hard drive and start all ovet again?
    Thanks for your time and patience.

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

have you tried a boot disk?

3. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

I tried using a floppy with the NTLDR and the NTDETECT on them, but that did not help.

I am not sure on how to create a boot disk for Windows XP.

Thanks for responding.

4. DanTekGeek

do you still have the xp disk?

5. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

Yes, I still have it.

6. DanTekGeek

ok, that will work as a boot disk. there are two options:

1. if you have the option at boot to select boot source. then put the disk in the cdrom drive, and select that as the boot source.

2. if you do not have that option, go to the bios and choose the cd drive as the boot device. it will be found in boot sequence

the windows disk should show you options, and go from there

7. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

8. DanTekGeek

kk, post back and tell me if it worked [​IMG]

9. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

No luck.

Still won't go past the POST.

I can't find a boot disk for XP professional, only the home edition.

I have it booted to DOS, but can't get the fdisk option to work either.

My brain is getting too fuzzy to think straight any more.

I might have to wait until tomorrow to start this going again.

Any thing you can think of at the moment?

10. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

HI When you say you cant get past post im getting a little confused do you mean the bios post, because what im reading your seeing the XP screen
    So can you boot into safe mode press F8 before the XP screen
    And if your getting the XP post screen its still booting from the hard drive are you sure you changed the bios to boot from CD-ROM first and saved the changes before exiting
    Sorry if ive misread your info

11. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

Yep. It gets to the XP POST.

I set up the BIOS to boot from the CD first and it tells me that the boot.ini file is bad and jumps to the HD where I continue to not get anywhere.

Also, Since it locks up, I have to reboot with the hot reboot button, it goes through the scan disk and stops there.

12. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

Got to the safe mode screen.
    I tried to boot in safe mode and it doesn't list the XP as the OS. Just "Windows OS".
    Is there a way to run the CD from here and reload the OS?

13. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

1 person likes this.
  14. DanTekGeek

looks like boot.ini is corrupted. could be a boot virus. or could just be dead, take the disk and see if it wil try a windows recovery. if not, do you have another computer iwht an extra bay you can use to scan the drive for viruses?

15. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

I'll try the boot disks, then if that doesn't work, I can hook up that drive to this computer and scan it.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks.

16. 1idvet

1idvet Private E-2

Allrighty then, I seem to be getting somewhere now.

The boot disks worked.

I am formatting the drive into NTFS and should be good to go.

I appreciate all the help.

17. DanTekGeek

no problem, anytime

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds