Windows XP won't start! Not even in Safe Mode!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Huey P, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

All of a sudden, my computer restarts on its own, and now it won't boot up! It gets to the Windows XP loading screen, and after a second it just restarts again! I can get into the bios, but if I choose Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration, it still restarts!
    I was downloading some funny movies when it first restarted... before I could even watch anything I had just downloaded, BAM! It all went down the crapper...
    I've tried turning it off and letting it sit for a few hours, but it always restarts a second after getting to the Windows loading screen.
    I'm using Windows XP Pro...
    Thanks in advance.

2. merbo

merbo Private E-2

your video card is toasted check the fan of your video card see if its spinning

3. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

Yup, it's spinning.
    If the vid card were wasted, wouldn't I not see anything?
    As it is, everything appears fine...

4. merbo

merbo Private E-2

Why does my computer keep restarting when I try to boot normally into Microsoft Windows XP operating system

To resolve this problem, perform the following steps:
    Start the computer in Safe Mode

Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
    The Control Panel window appears.
    Double-click the System icon.
    The System Properties window appears.
    Click to select the Advanced tab.
    Click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery field. (Figure 1).

The Startup and Recovery window appears.
    Click to remove the check next to Automatically Restart under System Failure. (Figure 2)

Click OK on the Startup and Recovery window.
    A warning message appears.
    Click OK to close the warning message window.
    Click OK on the System Properties window.
    Click the Start button, click Turn off the computer, and then click Restart.

5. merbo

merbo Private E-2

Oh sorry it wont go to safe mode right? try to do a repair/reinstallation of windows. dont worry you wont lose your documents

6. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

Thanks for the quick replies!
    I've tried repairing windows, but all I can get to is the repair console... The other option requires a recovery floppy disc or something. Is this what I need? How do I get the floppy working?

7. izzugotom

izzugotom Private E-2

When it boots in Safe mode, what is the last file you see it loading ?

Before doing a Repair or fresh install, 1st try chkdsk /r from Recovery Console.
    >You may have damage to the file structure because of power flick or something else, so XP cannot boot fully. chkdsk might just fix that.

8. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

YEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
    chkdsk /r WORKED!!!
    Thank you so, so much. I was on the verge of reformatting...
    *deep sigh of relief*

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds