Windows2000 and AntiVir Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Oct 20, 2006.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

This has happened to me numerous times on different PC's running Win2k: Avira's AntiVir will install fine, and ask for a reboot (under XP, it doesn't ask to reboot). Upon rebooting, the PC runs extremely slowly. So slow as to be unusable. The only way to remedy the situation is to reboot in Safe Mode, remove AntiVir from the msconfig list and from the Run entries in the registry (it won't uninstall in Safe Mode all the time, sometimes it does, usually doesn't), then reboot in normal mode and uninstall it, and use AVG or Avast! or Comodo instead. AntiVir doesn't always affect Win2k this way, but I've seen this happen on 75% of the Win2k PC's I've installed it on. Anyone have a similar experience or insight into this problem? I've tried to contact Avira and HBEDV+ and have rec'd no reply or help.

hopperdave2000:confused:

PS- I know Win2k doesn't have msconfig built in; I ALWAYS install it when I work on a Win2k PC.

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yeah, I checked out the AntiVir link, and posted a couple of times almost a year ago. The forums don't mention anything about Win2k slowing to a crawl with AntiVir installed. As soon as it's removed, the PC runs fine.....

Who knows:confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds