Windows7 Normal boot/safe mode fail at splash screen.

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark87, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mark87

mark87 Private E-2

Earlier today, I came back to my PC and nothing was respoding at all, ctrl+a;t+del didn't work so I hit the reset button on the PC.

Now every time I try to boot up to windows, it gets to the splash screen, and it just sits there doing nothing. I left it for over an hour and nothing was happening, and the HDD light was showing no activity.

So I've tried rebooting into safe mode, and it get to the part where it loads the drivers, and every time, it gets stuck on disc.sys.

I've also tried reinstalling windows vista + windows 7 again, but both of them get stuck on 'unpacking files'.
    So now I'm out of ideas on what to do, and hopefully there is nothing major wrong with the hard drives.

Any ideas or help is much appreciated.

2. mark87

mark87 Private E-2

It seems now, after reinstalling windows that new symptoms have appeared.

It now boots fine into windows, and works ok for the first few mins, then it grinds to a hault again. Only now, the hard drive activity spikes for 3-4 seconds every 5 or so mins, Works ok, then it goes back to being unresponsive.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the Motherboard you have and if its based on an Nvidia chipset, then make sure you install the latest Windows 7 Chipset for your nForce motherboard.

Check the cables IDE/SATA, if you have spares use them in case one is defective.

Also if you can run chkdsk then do so to check for HDD errors.

4. mark87

mark87 Private E-2

Hi.

I have just finished with the chkdsk, and it didn't seem to pick up any errors, although it did take about 4 hours to finish because it was doing the same hanging for a few mins, then working for3-4 seconds.

The mobo I'm using is an Asus m2n-x plus, and I updated the bio on that about 6 weeks ago.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds