Windows98 work computer trying to make personal

Discussion in 'Software' started by speeding_fool, Apr 8, 2009.

1. speeding_fool

speeding_fool Private E-2

My sister recently got a new computer at work and they let her have the computer she was using. It has windows 98 installed on it and she just wants it for her sons to use for basic stuff like word processing and web browsing. However it is password protected and she has the password .. but once you enter the password it pauses for awhile then says it was unable to connect with the network and the desktop loads up but she is unable to connect to the internet. I am not certain at this time what else is restricted for her on the computer since it is unable to access the schools network that it is obviously trying to hook up to. Her only question she had for me was how do I get online with it. She works for a small school and unfortunately the people working there don't have any advice for her on what to do. To be honest it has been so long since I have used windows 98 I don't even know where to begin ... if we need to try and gain administrative rights(don't even know if she has them or not) or if there is a totally different path to take. I have not been to her house to see the computer and have only talked with her once briefly on the phone about her problem.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is her home ISP dialup or broadband (cable, dsl or satellite)?

She will need to run the Internet Connection Wizard. Sorry, it has been so long since I ran 98 that I don't remember how to access it. When she runs that, she will need to remove the old connection - the one used at the school and put in all the information for her ISP at home.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds