WindowsXP automatically creates "Internet Guest" user account upon startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Main Frame, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Every time I restart there's this "Internet Guest" user account that keeps popping up. Makes me feel like I might have a trojan or something of that sort. I run Norton Anti-viri, ad-aware, and zone alarm pro.. nothing found. So what keeps creating this user account??

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Are you running IIS? I'm pretty sure this is a function of same (though I'm no expert).

If you don't need it (IIS) you can uninstall it (Control Panel > Add/Remove > Add/Remove Windows Components).

If you're running IIS with an FTP or Web server you probably need the Guest account.

3. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

I have IIS installed becasuse I needed it for Visual Studio .NET to work, but I'm not running a server or anything of that sort.

IIS has been installed for quite some time, and unless I have just been overlooking it, this new user account that keeps popping up is a recent development.. I never saw it untill my DSL connection started failing a couple weeks ago, and I shut down Zone Alarm to try and revive my connection. When I couldn't recieve any data through my connection I turned off the PC and restarted it, that's when I first noticed the new account being created every subsequent boot since.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You need the guest account in order for IIS to function, and you need IIS to function for .NET to work. :)

5. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Alright.. that's good to know :cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds