Winmgmt (svchost netsvcs) process consuming bandwidth - Why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoshenGeek, Nov 19, 2014.

1. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Laptop: ASUS K52F

I noticed (via NetMeter gadget) that some process was downloading something at about 600kbps. Using Windows Resoure Monitor & Process Explorer, I discovered that the a svchost.exe(netsvcs) process calling Winmgmt (Windows Management Instrumentation) was the culprit. Killing the svchost process stopped the download. See the attached image for the call tree for the svchost process.
    (1) Why does this process start downloading?
    (2) Is the download from this process legitimate?
    (3) Was I wrong to kill the process?
    (4) Is there something wrong that I should investigate?
    (5) Can winmgmt process be stopped from running? Is this a bad idea?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Thank you for the information. I realize now that I was misreading the call tree for the svchost process - I was looking at the last item in the tree rather than the first so I was misunderstanding which process was initiating the download.

I have disabled the Application Experience (AeLookupSvc) process. Do you see any major downside to disabling this process?

Thanks again.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

As the information said in the "Does my computer need the Application Experience (AeLookupSvc) service?", it helps with installing older devices and software in Windows 7. But, if you've got the "latest and greatest", there should be no problems with disabling it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds