Winsock error problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dmin11, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Dmin11

Dmin11 Private E-2

Hello,
    I'm a little more computer litterate then most of my friends, so I help them when they have problems. I've been here before with a problem, over a year ago. Since then the "Read and Run me first" has helped me clean up several other computer problems. Now, however I'm a little past my knowledge base. Rather then foul things up more, I'm posting for some help.
    The major problem is no ability to connect to the internet. I had my logs checked in the "Malware Removal" forum and TimW refered me here.
    So to describe the problem/problems......
    The computer can not connect to the internet, either wired or wirelessly.
    I'm working on the wired connection as that is what my home system is. I have no wireless connectablity but, can go somewhere to test if/when I have to.
    I have run a Windows repair/re-install. ( Where you go to install Windows and it allows you to "repair" with a "re-install). No joy.
    In "safe-mode with network" I tried to connect and received an error message from the Network diagnostic regarding "Winsock Diagnostic"
    "Winsock Status"
    "info = Error attempting to validate the winsock base providers:2
    error = Not all base service providers could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.
    info = Redirecting user to support call."
    The "Network adapter diagnostic" area is all "Green"
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic is all "Red".
    I had already run the entire series of "Read And Run Me First" when I got the above so I tried running "Winsockfix.exe" ....probably shouldn't have but, no joy anyway. At this point having run an internet search on the error message from the Network Diagnostic I am sure I am beyond my level of knowledge.
    BTW, I have ininstalled the drivers for the NIC and re-installed the latest versions. The computer is an HP Pavilion DV4000 Laptop running Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks in advance,
    Respectfully,
    Dmin11

On a side note, when the "Control Panel" is in "Catagory" mode, I am unable to access the "Security" section. Clicking on the icon gives me nothing.

2. Dmin11

Dmin11 Private E-2

This is not a "bump".
    I solved my problem. I'm actually on the "problem machine" now, so I can't leave a link to the Microsoft page that helped me but, I'll post more when I get back on my machine later.

Later on,
    Dmin11

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds