WinX64 installation failed; Windows died

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Dec 28, 2005.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Adrynalyne helped me to download the correct .iso for the Windows X64 evaluation. I was having trouble creating a partition, so I just installed X64 on my existing partition with Windows XP Pro. I created a new root folder and named it WindowsX. So there was C:\Windows and C:\WindowsX.

I got half way through setting up X64 when it asked for my CD Key. Turns out the damned key that Microsoft gave to me is invalid. I checked my email to make sure I had written it down correctly.

Whatever, by this point it's been 2 hours and I just want to get back on my damned computer.

There appears to be no way to uninstall what X64 has started, so I rebooted with the X64 disc in the drive and went to the recovery console. I attempted to delete the C:\WindowsX directory. It let me delete everything except a "setup"3.tmp and "setup"5.tmp. I believe they were called setup. They had the same name, both were .tmp, and one was 3 and one was 5.

It told me that access was denied on both of those files, so I slaved my hard drive in another computer and manually deleted the entire WindowsX directory. Now when I put my hard drive back in my own computer, it boots up (without the Windows X64 disc in the drive) and says that Windows failed to start because the file <Windows root>\system32\ntsokrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.

A big sigh. . .

I slaved my HDD in the other PC again and copied the file from a working Windows XP's computer and overwrote it. It had the same exact file size and date modified as the one that my computer said was "missing or corrupt."

I put it back in my PC and I'm still getting the same error message. Even though this is a F-up on my part, I'm ultimately choosing to blame Microsoft (just because).

Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? I don't even care about X64 anymore, I just want my computer to work.

Here's my specs...

AMD 64 3000+ Venice
    1 GB RAM
    120 GB Samsung HDD
    X800XL
    Win XP Pro (would be nice if it worked)

Thanks guys... :(

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

By the way, from the recovery console it only shows C:\Windows.

Before I slaved the hard drive and manually deleted the C:\WindowsX, it listed both in the recovery console.

When I go to the recovery console and run CHKDSK on C:\Windows, it says that CHKDSK found one or more errors on the disk, but doesn't say what to do after that.

:(

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Anyone?

4. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

As far as the CHKDSK goes, try typing it as C:\>CHKDSK /f

That will cause it to fix whatever it finds wrong.

Aside from that, it sounds like your master boot record got screwed up. Try the following command:

C:\> MbrFix /drive 0 fixmbr /yes

This is assuming you are booting from the C: drive.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

In the future, you shouldn't have installed this on the SAME partition as your current OS. Seperate drive is typically the wiser choice.

If what was suggested earlier fails, a REPAIR installation, MAY work.

6. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I had an existing partition of approx. 4 GB, but I had trouble resizing it. I deleted it and then tried several programs but as unsuccessful at making a new partition.

I ended up using a modified boot.ini on a floppy to boot into safe mode with networking and backed up some stuff, then I did a repair installation. It all worked except it failed to copy a file called "wbdbase.eud" or something like that. I copied this from another computer and tried it on a floppy AND a CD, and it wouldn't copy that one, either. I ended up just skipping the file and then it worked without a hitch.

Is Knoppix any good to use to make a partition? I plan on trying X64 again sometime, but I want to be better prepared, heh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds