WinXP 32bit wont connect to Win7 64bit printer

Discussion in 'Software' started by justyy4you, Sep 2, 2010.

1. justyy4you

justyy4you Private E-2

I'm not sure if this is going to be a Driver issue or a networking issue so please forgive me in advance if this is in the wrong spot. I have a new Gateway running Windows 7 64bit which has and Epson LQ-590 Impact printer attached to it. Windows 7 has the drivers preloaded and the printer works just fine. The issue I am having is that I need this printer networked to an old pc running Windows XP 32 bit. The XP recognizes the networked printer but says that the computer that its installed on (Win 7) does not have the correct driver and then give an option to search for the right ones. So I have installed to software on the windows XP printer and connected the print to that machine and everything works but when I reconnect the printer to the Win 7 machine it still give me the same driver message. I cant install the XP 32 bit drivers on the Win 7 64 bit machine (at least with any method I could find through goolge) so I am stuck... Please help

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Give the information HERE a go, posted this over typing as it has good pics on the steps to take.

3. justyy4you

justyy4you Private E-2

Halo,

Thanks for the reply, I found that site myself and got as far as trying to load the additional x86 drivers from the original install disc and it tells me "There is no printer driver for the requested environment" which is false because its the original disc. I have tried to download the drivers from the Epson website as well but I'm having the same issue of it not letting me install those drivers on the x64 bit machine. So if anyone knows how to get the driver isolated by itself maybe that would work. But as of this point I'm still stuck.

4. justyy4you

justyy4you Private E-2

Ok solved it by using the following method.

– go through the “Add Printer” wizard
    – choose “Local” printer instead of “Network” printer
    – choose “New port”
    – enter the path to the printer “\\Win7Machine\PrinterName”

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds