WinXP activation error / loop on logon screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by Purpleweenie, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Purpleweenie

Purpleweenie Private E-2

I have been screwing with a laptop all day now. My custmer deleted files, not sure which ones of course, and the system wouldn't boot.

Well it will boot to logon screen, when I click on a user it says winxp is not activated and asks if I want to activate it. I click yes, it saves settings and logs off back to the logon screen. Even with the admin user in safe mode.

I tried a repair install of xp and ran the chkdsk in recovery console. Even tried ms fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us

None of this has worked. I may try to copy over the user accounts and then try to reinstall xp.

Any thoughts on how to get through this activation loop poop?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I hit that issue a while back, never did find a way out sorry, apart from a re-install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds