WinXP Empty Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by bgunn, Sep 21, 2007.

1. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

Hello All:

Just got a Maxtor Shared Network Storage drive for the LAN at work, installed the program onto my system, rebooted as directed and now my desktop is void of icons, taskbar and programs. It logs in like normal but then all that is there is my desktop image. I do crtl+alt+delete to get the task manager up and there are NO programs running or that I can switch to.

I have tried rebooting, turning the system off completely, login in under Administrator and still nothing. Even going into Safe Mode isn't working. There the screen is blank except for the "safe mode" readings in the four corners. Hitting the "window" key brings up nothing.

I also tried to go to Last Known working configuration.... nothing.

Right now, I have the system on and logged in and just sitting there hoping that time will bring up my icons, programs and taskbar.

Anyone ever run across this type of problem? If so, what was your solution?
    Please help as I have a ton of work to do!!!!

thanks.

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Re: Anyone ever run across this type of problem? If so, what was your solution? bgunn <<

Yes, I had a similar problem one time. In my case, the boot sector was corrupted.

Try this link: MSKB Article ID: 314503
    "Computer stops responding with a black screen when you start Windows XP"

Applies To:
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Good Luck!

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

4. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

Compuable & Adrynalyne:
    Thank you for the assist.

Adrynalyne:
    Unfortunately, I did not see your posting until it was too late.

I contacted Dell (the system in question) to ask them about ASR & Recovery Console. They had me run a couple dianogtic tasks and basically said... reformat & reinstall.

I hated to do that as this system is a real workhorse at work -- lots of files and programs. Anyway, I spent most of Sunday and a better part of Monday backing up and reformatting, then reinstalling all needed items. Downtime here is not good.

So I thank you and hope that it was the right way to go.
    bgunn

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds