WinXP, Home Ed, freezes when trying 2 get in

Discussion in 'Software' started by noli414, May 12, 2005.

1. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

Since I turned off my PC and moved it to another location, my XP, HE does not want to let me in. It freezes up. I have tried the following:
    The black screen where it says "We apologize but Windows did not start successfully...", I tried Last Known Good Config and Start Windows Normally, it still freezes up. I can only get in with Safe Mode, Safe mode with Networking.

I have tried a System Restore, but it fails. It freezes up. I even left it overnight thinking that it needed a little time. Nothing.

I have a recovery disk, but I would be loading another instance of XP on my hard drive and I am not sure if I want to do this.

What else can I do without having to Format the HD. I don't know what else to check. I am really disturbed that this happened. I didn't do anything to the configuration. I just moved the dumb thing.

Please HELP!

Thanks,

Kim

2. KoadMunki

KoadMunki Private E-2

first off...can you open your case and take a look at the Hard Drive for me? I can give you a little more advice from there. You need to know the name brand printed on tip of your hard drive, unless it appears when you boot? Depending on what manufacturer made your hard drive...run one of these utilities...

If it's Western Digital, use the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool

If it's Maxtor, use Power Max V. 4.21

and If it's Seagate, use SeaTools (you have to fill out the form, but it's free)

There are other brands, and this may not solve your problem, but downloading and running these programs will verify that your drive is working properly. (at least in a mechanical read/write sense)

NOTE: These tools require either a CD/RW or Floppy diskette to run...Follow the instructions either on the web site or once downloaed to create a bootable disc/floppy that will allow you to run the diagnostic software.

Also....feel free to PM or E-mail me since I'm assuming you're on someone else's computer doing all of this and you might not have ready access, I'm usually on, just not on the forum sites

-koadmunki

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Also...being that you moved your computer...it is slightly possible that a piece of hardware worked itself loose in the transport stage!!!!

When you open your case...make sure that all the cables, pci cards, and everything is connected and seated securly!!

You would be amazed the problems you can come accross just because one little thing is not connected completely and 100% secure!!!!

Roger

4. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

Hello there,
    Sorry for the late response. I checked inside the PC and everything looks
    connected securely. I also have a Western Digital HD. I tried running the
    tool that was in a reply post but the link is not working for me.

Also, if I check my Event Viewer, should that tell me where things went
    wrong. It looks like I started receiving a bunch of errors around the time
    I moved it.

Let me know if you need the error messages.

Thanks.

Kim.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. KoadMunki

KoadMunki Private E-2

Hm...I am tending to agree with Adrynalyne, if it goes into safe mode, if probably isn't the hard drive...(smacks head in shame...:rolleyes: ) However, if I were you, and I'm not, I would run the test anyway, just to see if there are any errors. (I'm a little too thorough for my own good I guess). The links that Adrynalyne posted are excellent for troubleshooting a fussy copy of windows, however, they're also great for (pardon my french...) F**ing up a good drive if you don't know what you're doing. I've seen some people really mess things up, and not know how to fix them in there, and I've even messed a few things up myself (me mess up?.....lies....;) ) Send us those error reports, maybe that will clear something up. If there is somethig in there that can shed some light we will take it from there, if not...then perhaps you should start reading those links. It may be your only option to get back into windows. As a side note, if you DO decide to use those links, I would write down EVERYTHING you click/move/delete/add/etc.... so that you can go back and undo it all later on.

Mmmm...I see the file is too large to attach, if you really need it contact me and I can arrange to send it to you, or give you another link.

7. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

Hello there,

2 weeks later...
    I tried to use the fixes posted but they did not work.
    Checkmarks kept coming back in MSconfig.

I am going to post the items from my event viewer.

Please let me know if any of this makes any sense as
    to why I cant get into Windows normally.

These items come up over and over again for several
    days.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7026
    Date: 5/27/2005
    Time: 10:07:20 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: PC
    Description:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    Aavmker4
    Fips
    Processor

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
    Event ID: 7036
    Description:
    The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service entered the stopped state.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
    Event ID: 7036
    Description:
    The Terminal Services service entered the running state.

Event ID: 7001
    Description:
    The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Event Source: VSS
    Event ID: 8193
    Time: 10:06:17 PM
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

Data:
    0000: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
    0008: 32 31 31 33 00 00 00 00 2113....
    0010: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
    0018: 32 30 37 38 00 00 00 00 2078....

Event Source: EventSystem
    Event Category: (50)
    Event ID: 4609
    Time: 10:06:17 PM
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event ID: 1524
    Time: 6:15:35 PM
    User: PC\kc
    Description:
    Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

8. KoadMunki

KoadMunki Private E-2

So, you tried everything huh? I read through the logs, but I'm not seeing any kind of pattern. what I AM seeing is a whole lot of really important things failing. services and drivers for things as basic as the processor aren't loading!

My next step would be to go through your computer (Device Manager....Right click on My Computer-->properties-->Hardware Tab-->Device Manager) and find all the drivers for all your parts. Then Re install them. I know that sounds drastic, and it might not fix a thing, but :

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    Aavmker4
    Fips
    Processor

-That concerns me. I'm not sure what Fips and Aavmaker4 are, but I know processor isn't a good one :)

Also, you might want to try a Soft install of Windows. If you have a Compaq, the System Restore is located on a separate partition on your Hard Drive, it is possible that it's corrupted, though how I couldn't say. I'm guessing since you mentioned a system restore AND a recovery disk, you don't have a system restore disc. Could it be that you have a Windows XP disc laying around somewhere? If not you may have to pick up a copy to do this, unless you can get your hands on one from somewhere else.

Also, what is the nature of your recovery disk? is it an AntiVirus Disk? Something that came with the computer?

9. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

Okay,

I just checked out my event viewer again and I cant seem to find the one about the processor, FIPS and the other thingy.

One thing I failed to mention, I have a DELL 2400. I have tried using the Reinstallation CD (that's what they call it), it's a WINXP installation disk with SP1a on it. I started reinstalling and then stopped because I realized I was putting another copy of windows on my system.

I checked my Device Manager and everything is working fine there. I dont see any devices listed with errors. So I guess I could reinstall the drivers, but at this point I am wanting to chuck it all and just do the format c:\.

If I do this, I am assuming I would have to do the partitioning. It's been so long since I've done a Windows install that I have forgotten the steps.

I am a little frustrated and I have devoted a little too much time to this.

So what do you think I should try now?

10. KoadMunki

KoadMunki Private E-2

The disc wont let you do a soft install? (A soft install is when Windows Re-Installs itself over....itself. The good thing about this is that it doesn't erase ANY of your files, the bad thing is that it doesn't get rid of any files :) (catch 22) it's not so great for full virus wipes and all that jazz, but that's not your problem anyway. If it will let you do that that's the best way to go.

Don't get too heated up about it, and certainly don't throw it out the window. I'm guessing that you have something pretty important on here that you're holding off formatting it this long, so I wouldn't give up now, ya know? just walk away for a while if ya need to.

11. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

Just moving your computer will not stop Windows from booting. I know you said you looked for loose components but did you try reseating everything?
    Make sure your power is unplugged and you are grounding yourself to the case. This means physically taking everything all the way out of their slots and reinserting them. When that is done do the same thing with all the connections. While in there get rid of all dust.
    As far as your event viewer Aavmker4 is an Avast service. Do you have multiple anti virus programs running? If so remove all except the one you want to keep because they will cause conflicts with each other. You may want to reinstall Avast.

12. KoadMunki

KoadMunki Private E-2

I knew i'd seen that somewhere before....Avast...the bane of my existence. I'm a PC Tech at MGP Computers (local store) and we've had to clean up about 40 pc's with avast! free on them. I'm not sure if it's just crap or if the program itself is actually Counter Productive for Anti-Virus solutions, but every single computer I've ever seen it on downloads trojans....trojans and trojans and trojans....the numbers and likes of which I have not imagined in my wildest dreams. (up to 3000!!!! for god's sake 3000!!!) I would remove it immediately, but I fear it is already too late. Avast! is crap in my book, but don't take my word for it, just ask our pc! hehe (sorry I had to)

-koadmunki

13. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

The reinstallation from the DELL recovery CD is not going well. It looks as though it's going to install and when it restarts, it hangs at the Blue screen titled MS Windows Xp, most of this blue screen is blank and the bottom says Starting windows but nothing happens. Any more ideas. I might try the unplugging and disconnecting and reinserting. But if not, the format is calling my name. Can someone tell me how to partition. Will the XP CD tell me how?

14. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

Yes, setup will give you a chance to work with the partitions.

15. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

I am unable to a do a format C:. How can I get a command prompt if I can't even get WinXP setup to perform correctly. Oh, also, I don't have a floppy so I cant use a boot disk. Is there such a thing as a cd rom book disk?

I can only use safe mode, but safe mode with command prompt wont let me do format c:.

Please help.

16. Wait i think i got an idea on how to fix the problem. In fact it is so foolproof it makes it fix itself. Yes my fellow geeks i am talking about scandisk. And dont use it from safemode. Go into the recovery console on the windows cd and run chkdsk. This usually fixes the bad boot sector. Then do scandisk /p. That does a full system scan and fixes all the errors it finds. The beauty of doing this from the winxp cd is that when it finds a corrupted file it finds it on the disk and rewrites a good copy of the file from the cd. That should get windows up and running in notime. (Trust me its gotten me out of jams whee i could even start safemode) And change the battery on your motherboard. That could be why the system is so messed up now. Cause it could be a dead battery. Let us know if this helps.

17. No demented im saying that you run the recovery console from her winxp cd. It doesnt install anything. It simply rewrites messed up files with good ones from the disc. That might fix it.

18. Somtimes if that dont work the scandisk restores enough of the drive so you can do a winxp repair.

19. Oh sorry bout that demented.

20. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

Okay heres the thing. I cannot get anything to come up from the WinXp CD.
    It hangs at the Windows Setup Blue Screen. I do not get a menu. I also do not have a floppy drive. I ordered the Dell without one. (I am sooo regretting that). Can I somehow still do a scandisk? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help,
    Kim.

21. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

Sorry, Let me clear up some things. I do get a menu from the WinXP cd.
    It gives me a choice of installing, and this is where it hangs. The other
    choices have nothing to do with recovery or installing.

Now where is the recovery console at? I do not see it on the cd anywhere.
    Unless it's not part of the menu and something I have to explore for on the cd.

Please advise.

22. I would not know how to do that then. Maybe if you can grab a floppy drive from the store (there about 20 bucks) Any one just has to be able to read flooppies. Hook that up then try to get the winxp startup on floppies. Once you get that go to the recovery console and try to run a scandisk. Once that is done do a winxp repair. Oh yeah when you start the computer with the boot disk you turn the computer on and put the disk in right away. A restart after that would be a good idea to make sure you get the disk to come up. Once it says that it sees the cd press any key to start booting from the disk. You have to give it some time at the blue screen cause it takes a while to come up. Then press r from the main screen. It will take you to a dos screen which will have a countdown. Thats just a keyboard thing let it go. Then it will ask you what installation you want to go into (if winxp is the only one there you press one or if its a secondary or whatever # of os it is)You have to use the part of the keyboard on top of the letters (dunno why but the keypad doesnt work in recovery console). Then it will ask you to log into the account called adminsitrator. If you left it on default it should not have a password. If thats the case just press enter. If it does have a password enter it. Once you do that you will be at a command prompt that will be at C:/WINNT: you just enter chkdsk. That will do a quick check of your boot sector and repair it. Then do "chkdsk /p" (no quotes) That will check the entire hardrive for errors and repair it. Lemme know if this works.

23. noli414

noli414 Private E-2

I was able to clean viruses and had no spyware. I ran HJT and everything is clean. I just realized something. I had a label stuck in my CD ROM. I think its still affecting it somehow. Even though I was able to use it to burn a back up of 670mb of data to a cd. I have been able to load other little programs, but for some reason I dont think it can read the WindowsXP cd very well. It as if it works 1/2 wayWhat do you think??? I don't know what else to do. I have been doing all of this in Safe Mode with networking by the way. I guess I could buy a floppy. Why didn't I get one again??????

24. I still think that it is a file corruption in the OS because the way it sounds like the computer is hanging it may be that the partition is so corrupted that the winxp cd can not even read the partition and this causes it to hang and freeze. But to get to the recovery console from the main screen, you just press the r key from the main screen after all the fun winxp stuff is loaded from the disk. Dont press anything else just press r. Then do what i have said on how to get into the console from my previous posts and do the same chkdsk commands that i have told you to run. From there If it still does not boot you may have recovered enough of the system to do a winxp repair. But if you still have problems after the repair try other commands in the recovery console like fixboot and fixmbr. Those will rewrite the master boot record and boot files for windows. If all that fails i would say that there is no hope in saveing the OS and you should just reformat the system and install from scratch. Unless some else in this fine community has a solution to help you they can. Lemme know if this helps.

25. Or try relableing that drive that you are putting the winxp disc into. Like use another Drive letter like istead of D name it E or something. Let me know if this information helps.
    -The new tech guy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds