WinXP PRO: Setup was unable to load the master information file

Discussion in 'Software' started by BluesMan, Feb 27, 2004.

1. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

Trying to add some components to my xp pro box here at work so I can manage mailboxes on an exchange server. I read this MS Knowlegde base artilce 821920 which goes thru teh steps and what to load.

The problem is, when I go to control panel, add remove programs, add/remove windows components: I get the error

Windows setup was unable to load the master information file

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Found this at another site. Don't know if it worked or not because the thread starter did not reply.

"Go to the Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Programs, click the Add/Remove Components Button, a window then appears showing various component and component catergories. As you will see , some of them will be 'ticked'. Tick the options you require and see if you can do what you want from there.Some of the catergories have multiple levels so when you check one option you will then have a few more options within!"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds