WinXP re-boot cycles and cycles and...

Discussion in 'Software' started by kspoor, Aug 13, 2008.

1. kspoor

kspoor Private E-2

I found a thread:http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147268

I am having the same problem - computer starts to boot - then re-boots then starts to boot - then re-boots... Yet when I use my Super WinPE CD and tell it to boot from my C: drive it boots up fine.

And needed to ask Adrynalyne about this issue I am having with my computer. His quote;

"Agreed. also note if you have SP2, or not. You should see the option that dlb mentioned if you have SP2. If you do have SP2, and dont see that, please let us know.

A repair right out of the gate is a bad idea."

I got my error screen info:

STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF79BB528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Need to know if this is a fix using my WinXP original CD?

Another thing I noticed is that my Pioneer DVD/CD drive does not automatically close on a re-boot (which I am pretty sure it did before this...)

thanks

-K

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A bit of research tells me that 0x0000007B is a drive controller issue; meaning the system IDE/SATA drivers have been corrupted or aren't loading correctly. If you have recently swapped out your motherboard or installed a separate IDE/SATA controller, this can happen. The Microsoft web site recommends a repair install of Windows at this link. In extreme cases, formatting the hard drive may be needed and installing Windows clean is required. Hopefully, this is not the case here. A good step-by-step for a Windows repair install can be found here. Before trying that, you can try booting to your XP disc, entering the recovery console, and running chkdsk /r and just letting it run. It can take some time. Before doing that, you might want to follow the steps here. I hope this helps!
    Good luck! And welcome to Major Geeks!

[dlb]

3. kspoor

kspoor Private E-2

OK - thanks

BUT - the MSoft tech site - reads like idiot speak to me with links from here to there and back over here... I think I clicked on 4 links for the same possible fix and I still have no idea what to do next!

So I checked out your 3rd option link - Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands - made sense - except my computer is not exhibiting the problems he discussed and claims to be able to fix (he keeps stating that these steps are for the errors listed previously in my article).

Does my computer fall into one of his fixable categories (as I am not technical enough to figure out)??

--- quote ---
    Amongst the files it fixes are:
    * Windows Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
    * Corrupt registry hives (\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\CONFIG\\xxxxxx)
    * Invalid BOOT.INI files
    * A corrupt NTOSKRNL.EXE
    * A missing NT Loader (NTLDR)
    --- end quote ---

I was able to run chkdsk /r
    I have run Spinrite by Gibson Research
    and I have made and used the hard drive checking software provided by Seagate to check the drive

Everything seems to be OK with the drive. I have not made any changes to the motherboard. The last thing I did was a start-shut down due to an on-coming storm to my area. Which it did with no problem. Later on trying to boot - it just cycles and I can't get into SAFE mode either.

Do you have steps for repairing drive controller issues? Or could you give me the steps?

Thanks -K

4. kspoor

kspoor Private E-2

PROBLEM FIXED: and it was easier than anything!

I was reading posts here on majorgeeks support forum and checked my BIOS setting - there was a boot order option and it was trying to boot off of my slave harddrive, for some reason - that is why it booted with my WinPE CD when I told it to boot from C:.

Thanks - this place is awesome! Plan on visiting again (probably when I'm in CRISIS mode!)

-K

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds