Winxp shutdown question

Discussion in 'Software' started by kw48, Dec 16, 2007.

1. kw48

kw48 Private E-2

Hi all

I'm running Win XP pro and when shutting down have been getting a blue window: "End program ccSvcHost". The window closes and the computer shuts down. It has only done this since install of NIS 2008 a couple of months ago. I emailed the support people at Symantec, but no reply came.

My machine is networked to another, same specs, also with NIS 2008. Same window appears on shutdown.

Any help much appreciated!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

A couple of options:

1. Does your PC have a floppy drive? if not then as many AV apps are set to scan floppies at shutdown and you not having one, may cause NIS to crash!

So to fix in NIS open Settings > AutoProtect > Configure > select General Settings > uncheck Scan Floppy Drive at Shutdown > Apply and exit.

2. Open Services by going to Start > Run > type services.msc and hit enter, then search for the Symantec Core LC service and make sure its set to Automatic and Started.

Do the same with Symantec Event Manager and Symantec AppCore Service, just to make sure.

To check, you do only have 1 Antivirus application installed in NIS 2008 or do you have others? if you have others they may conflict and cause errors like this so uninstall the others and only have NIS installed.

3. kw48

kw48 Private E-2

Thank you for the speedy reply!

1 Both machines have floppy drives.

2 re: services.msc ... does the advice still apply?

3 NIS is the only anti-virus software. I uninstalled McAfee before loading Symantec.

4. DavidGP

Hi

If 1. and the floppy suggestion didnt work then yes on 2. and Services.msc, just check that those Symantec services are started and set to Automatic.

5. kw48

kw48 Private E-2

Sorry, I am being dim here ... I can't find the Settings etc that you describe in NIS ... nothing that mentions floppy disk + shutdown.

All I can find that relates to the floppy disk drive is:
    Internet Security Options
    Options
    Real-Time Protection
    General Settings
    Scan Removable media for boot viruses when media is inserted

Before I went the 'services' route, I just thought that I'd check to see if I was missing something.

Thanks again.

6. DavidGP

Ah sorry my bad ( me being sloppy )! things change from what I remember, only ever tried NIS 2007 a very short time, thought menus wouldnt change too much.

Yes try disabling removable media scan and see if that helps ( enable it again if this doesnt change anything ), if not then services and check those.

also make sure your fully upto date with all NIS updates buy running Run LiveUpdate.

Run http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html and clean up the temp folders, once installed RUn > click Cleaner and Run Cleaner ( it will remove any auto sign-ins to websites etc so you will have to type user and password again ) but remianing installer files from applications could cause this.

Just a curiosity question: if your i the UK, do you have BT broadband? only reason I ask is that a collegue of mine has similar NIS error with the BT Helper files, once disabled from startup this issue with Norton went away.

7. kw48

kw48 Private E-2

Bingo! It was unchecking the 'scan removable media' that did it!

Both machines shut down + rebooted as they should.

Question ... with the services.msc
    the Sym Event Manager was Auto
    there was no Sym App Core Service on the list at all
    Sym Core LC was manual ... is it OK or should I change to Auto?

Many thanks!

8. DavidGP

Good, getting somewhere, but I know with Symantec it could be a few updates before issues like this are sorted, as TBH, everything should work and you should not have to disable an options.

Yes the main service I remember causing this error was the Sym Core LC, and the fact that it was set tot manual as being set to manual it just didnt start, you can test with having it on Auto and re-enabling the Removable Media scan.

Do if not done already run the Live Update just to check and keep the software upto date.

9. kw48

kw48 Private E-2

Will do, and will also run the cleaner.

Many thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds