WinXP SP3 Code 28: the driver install can't see the *.sys file?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Jul 27, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

folks, this is a general question with a specific instance. I have two revs of a driver for Windows XP for the D-Link "b" PCMCIA card, DWL-650 [not 650+ or other]. This device was previously working swell under Windows XP on this system but due to hard hard disk errors I had to reformat and reinstall.

Windows device manager shows the card and identifies it correctly [via its firmware I guess] but shows NO driver installed. this after multiple attempts at install/uninstall of both the later and former driver packages. Worse, if I simply pick up the card from Device manager and try to point it to the proper folder with the *.sys file in it, it just does not see the file.

when I ran a subroutine for one particular part of the driver install process [from the programs folder for the D-Link device] I got an error that may be spurious... it says "cannot find ndis.dll". The notes I found on the web about that issue go back to Win98... :-o. I just don't know what to make of it.

all the usual easy fixes have been tried:
    - redid the install under Safe Mode
    - disabled the virus package
    - tried the install with card removed, then reinsert, still fails.
    - tried with card installed... fails.
    - tried third party drivers for the Intersil Prism 2 Chipset - fails.

under no circumstances does Windows XP device manager show any driver installed.

the onboard hardware NIC works. its driver is installed correctly [it was in the XP wad]

thanks for any clues.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds