WinXP Update Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Mar 21, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

WinXP Home SP2. I just installed a clean WinXP, activated it OK, and now I'm trying to do the updates. The first update (Microsoft Publisher) popped up an error about the time. I forgot to 'spring ahead' for daylight savings. So I sprung ahead, and the update installed. Now the rest of the updates error out with error number 0x8024001D. A search of MS knowledge base revealed nothing, nada. I thought maybe it was tied to the time error, so I rebooted and double-checked the time and date. Still the error. Any help is appreciated!

hopperdave2000

2. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

3. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Thanx for the links. I'll try out the tips and post my results.

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

:D :D :D Thanx guys! The tips in the provided link(s) worked like a charm! I saved the info in a .txt on my thumb drive for future reference! Thanx Again! :D :D :D

hopperdave2000

6. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Your Welcome,

What worked? for the next person that comes along, please post.

7. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I used the Microsft Commmunities link and the tip there (among others) said to start by renaming the Software Distribution folder (to SDold) is what I used. Right after the rename, I tried the updates.... BINGO!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds