Wipe and taskkill

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lavender, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Wipe looked to be a good program to get rid of bits of files and history still hanging around in odd places. I do not want to lose my OS or other documents and programs.

When I tried to download, a message came up to say taskkill.exe couldn't be opened.

Any advice? Running Vista Windows.

Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A link to the program you are asking about would help.

3. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

4. plodr

Which one of the 4 links under Download Locations did you click?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Notes for me: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954072

Taskkill.exe is a Windows file created by Microsoft Corporation. The file is usually found in C:\Windows\system32 folder. If you find it anywhere else, Please note that taskkill.exe could be a virus, trojan, worm, or spyware.

5. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

If it is available, I always download from Major Geeks. I don't think Wipe was.

Yes, taskkill came up in the right place, I just didn't know it existed until then.

I guess I'd better forget installing Wipe, huh?

Many thanks for your help.

6. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Okay, I have had time to check the download links. It's the MG link appearing directly under the author's link.

7. plodr

Next, go to search and put in taskkill.exe and list all the places it shows (with the size of each).

I don't have a Vista computer so I can't test the download to see how it behaves in Vista. I downloaded on my win 7 computer and before it downloaded, it was scanned by my av.

8. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Okay, this looks a bit weird. It only shows up on the system 32 etc., mentioned earlier.

Created - May 1, 2011
    Modified - Jan 18, 2008
    Accessed - May 1, 2011
    File Version 6.6.6001.18000
    Size - 77 kb

"terminate processes"

Live link to "Remove properties and Personal Information" That's the scary bit.

Should I forget I've ever seen it?

9. plodr

No. I just wanted to verify that you had the real taskkill.

Not sure but maybe in Vista when you go to download, you have to right click and select something. As I said, I don't run Vista so I can't see what you see.

10. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Many thanks for getting me to check.

This isn't the first time I've regretted having Vista. XP was so much more friendly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds