Wiping Hard drive from laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fizkowie, Dec 1, 2013.

1. fizkowie

fizkowie Private First Class

Hi,
    I have an old laptop which I would like to put on free cycle or throw away - but I need to remove all my personal files, etc. I know that just deleting them won't do the job. I was wondering if someone here could guide me. You have been really helpful with past problems so I'm hopeful that someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Tammy

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. fizkowie

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have the disks (actually probably do but don't know which ones they are). Will this CCCleaner remove program files as well?

Thanks.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Google your laptop brand and model followed by "recovery". If it's newer, you simply find out which key to press on boot and restore it to factory defaults. Problem solved.

Otherwise:
    1: MOVE any files to another drive or wherever you back them up. For example photos, pictures and documents. You can move them by selecting the files you want and then right click and drag and drop selecting "move files here". Now they are off your drive.

2: Download http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_uninstaller.html and look for the "batch uninstall" and select everything you want to remove. It will take a while. Then do the "powerful scan" and remove everything it finds.

If you want to wipe free space and protect old files from someone else recovering them, then:
    Get CCleaner and go to tools, drive wiper and select only your C drive. Choose free space only (very important and the default setting) and 3 passes. This makes old data unrecoverable.

I think your just looking to get your programs and files off it so you might not need that last step although some people like to so their stuff can be recovered. Up to you and how paranoid you are :)

5. fizkowie

Thanks! Those directions seem clear and easy enough for even me to folllow!

Have a great evening.

Tammy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds