Wired and Wireless Networks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SFrindel, Jun 5, 2006.

1. SFrindel

SFrindel Private E-2

I have 2 networks running. A wired and a wireless. I don't want a user to be able to be connected to both at the same time.

I have tried a couple different location/network managers and none seem to work all that well. I was hopeing there was something out there that would allow a user to unplug from the network and have the wireless turn on, and when they plug in have the wireless turn off. Kinda brianless, as to not create any kind of bridge between the networks. Any idea's or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Try this. Go to the configuration for the wireless and then go to the TCP/IP configuration. Depending on the OS there will be an option to configure the INTERFACE METRIC which usually defaults to 1. Set it to 15 on the wireless network. The INTERFACE METRIC bascially is the "cost" of the route. TCP/IP will want to take the lowest cost route to the location. So, when you are wired the wired route will be taken and when unplugged the wireless route will be taken. Let me know how you make out.

-Jim

3. SFrindel

SFrindel Private E-2

I appreciate the response. I was looking for more of a Disable, Enable Adapter type of thing. So i would only have one IP. Any Ideas ????

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This article contains a script to disable wireless network cards. With research, it could be used to enable cards as well.

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Curious, why are you concerned with only one IP? They are two seperate networks.

-Jim

6. SFrindel

SFrindel Private E-2

I don't want any possible bridging...I actually got it figured out there is a WAN/LAN Bios Setting that worked like a charm...THanks for the help though..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds