Wired connection lost DIU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pearbore, Apr 27, 2006.

1. pearbore

pearbore Private E-2

I have one computer that works fine. And connects to the Internet. And many websites.
    On a laptop, suddenly, I find a complete loss of internet connection. All websites can not be accessed. Usually, it says something like "detecting proxy settings" or something, flips by, when you first start the browser. It waits for a very long while. And finally gives up, and presents a white screen, and page not found. Can't get email either.

I try some commands:
    PING 192.168.1.1

Trying to ping my router. Result:
    Destination is unreachable.

I try:
    PING www.google.com
    result:
    unknown host

I believe that the Linksys router is working just fine.

My laptop is running Windows 2000 PRO SP3.

Can you suggest where to proceed from here?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, windows 2000 sp4 is out. But, since you can't connect to the internet to download this sp, we need to fix your issue.

at the cmd prompt try:

ipconfig /renew

One note, did you hardwire "manually type in the ip for this machine"...i.e. use static ips?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds