Wired home network question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Axis304, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Axis304

Axis304 Private E-2

Ok so currently I have a wired modem going to the only computer in my house. Well I just bought myself one and need to keep the internet on the original one as well as take it to my new one. Question being, will a switch be ok to just plug the original cable into, and then brake 2 cables off of that for my original computer and my new one as well? I know I can do this with a router, but I really want to try and avoid getting one if possible.

Thanks,
    Axis

2. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Is this a dialup modem? If you need both on that at the same time, the easiest way would most likely be Internet Connection Sharing. But, if both computers are using the internet, your speed would most likely be cut in half.

If it is some kind of broadband modem, I'd say go with a router. Otherwise, you'd need two network cards in the PC the internet goes into, and then into the switch/other PC (using varies means). But, if the first PC is off, then there's no internet to the second PC.

3. Axis304

Axis304 Private E-2

Thats my point though, couldn't I just plug the broadband modem into the switch, then bring two RJ-45 cables out of that into two different computers?

4. Troyd40

Troyd40 Private E-2

Yes, It really is that simple

Sorry, after further review.......you will need a router. You need something that will assign an address to each computer.

5. Axis304

Axis304 Private E-2

Well I decided to get a router anyways. So what would be the point of a switch? To create one large connection between many computers?

6. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Yes, a switch essentially just repeats the signals it receives. A more nitty gritty version: it keeps track of what PC is connected to it and either directs the signals to it, or to another part of the network to keep the signals moving towards it.

A router translates signals from one protocol to another - so in this case, Internet to Ethernet and back. That's why one was needed here, a switch just can't do that.

7. Axis304

Axis304 Private E-2

Even if I took the internet to my modem and then plugged my modem into the WAN spot on the switch and brought 2 ethernet cables out of that?

8. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

No, because then each computer would attempt to grab a different IP address from your ISP. Without the router either only one or neither PC would actually connect to the Internet. Your ISP would love it if you paid for 2 addresses, but your wallet wouldn't.

A router also performs a function called Network Address Translation (NAT), which makes all the computers connected to it appear to your ISP as one very active PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds