Wired Network problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rcbongio, Apr 23, 2007.

1. rcbongio

rcbongio Private E-2

I am having trouble getting longer ethernet runs (30-50ft) to work. I seem to get a "connection" as both ends of the cable run are showing active lights. However, the IP address will not renew so I get no real network access. two separate cable runs...same results. Yes, I ran the cable and terminated them myself with RJ 45.

Does anyone have an idea?

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

what are you plugged into and what kind of internet connection do you have?

chances are it wont have anything to do with your cabeling unless you made a mistake in making them. itll happen. there shouldnt be any real attenuation problem on stanard twisted pair at 50ft. youll be good up to about 100 meters with your twisted pair.

3. rcbongio

rcbongio Private E-2

Wired into a Belkin router.....attached to a DSL modem (2 Wire). All other cables work fine....only the ones I made don't. :( Reterminated both ends twice. Validated pattern (orange, green, blue, etc..) was same on both ends and connectors getting a good bite on leads.

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

theres a lot of posts about problems with their belkin dsl gateway/routers. i dont know much about them, but you could try doing an ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew and just staticly put in the ip you get if the router wont renew your IP. that might solve the problem, but then youd have to make the reservation for that ip so the dhcp dosnt throw out the static address you use and get all messed up.

look around on some of the other posts about their belkin, maybe they can help you further.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds