wired network server cable unplugged?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fbarbieri, Apr 14, 2009.

1. fbarbieri

fbarbieri Private E-2

Suddenly, I could not get workstations onto network via my wired router.
    I have an 8 port wired Linksys befsr81 ver 2 about ~8 years old.

has been connected to non dedicated server for 8 years as well running windows 2000 currently 3 workstations connected running windows xp professional and internet wan fios type: wan 100mb lan 10mb

the message was from the server: local cable unplugged.
    all the computers except the server can access the internet.

What I have tried:
    1. checked cable and cards
    2. tried new cable: same message
    3. tried different port on router: same message
    4. thought the pulse jack connection on server could be bad eventhough computer says device was working properly
    5. installed new linksys nic card: same message from either connection
    6. tried to reset the router powering everythiong down and restarting in sequence. no luck
    6. went to linksys web site tried to go thru steps for resetting and ping the router from remote (workstation) computer and downloaded newest driver . had trouble with down load I am not sure that I down loaded entire file.
    still no luck

Is this a router problem or a computer problem?
    any help would be appreciated

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Sounds like you may have a router issue, looks like you covered every other angle
    Is this the same router you have been using all along? ... they do just stop working (i just had one go last week after 4 years of valiant service) find a cheap one and try a few machines on it and see if your problem goes away.

P

3. fbarbieri

fbarbieri Private E-2

Could the router be bad and still allow internet access throughout the network.

Fb

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Did you power off and restart the server?

5. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

could it be the NIC card/connection on the servere itself?

justathought

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds